3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 6:39 AM by MikeVelardo

Custom Fields and New Combined Install

Rookie

I have CA Service Desk and Xtraction integrated. Currently there are numerous custom fields from Service Desk added to the Xtraction Datamodel that were done before I got involved. Everything is currently working as expected.

My problem is this: I have since then installed CA Service Catalog, which was not included in the original install of Xtraction, therefore no dashboards or reports can be created including any fields from Service Catalog. In asking CA, I'm told I need to execute the XtractionInstaller to 'combine' the type of install that will then include CA Service Catalog. However, I was warned that this will overwrite the current Datamodel with a new one effectively removing the existing custom fields. I was also told I need to recreate each and every custom table and/or field in the new Datamodel manually. Is this true or is there an automated way to get the custom data out of the existing Datamodel?

• 1. Re: Custom Fields and New Combined Install
          GreggSmith SupportEmployee

No, it is not true, but neither is there an automated way.  Running the XtractionInstaller is NOT the way to accomplish this.

If you have an Enterprise Data Model license, you can do the merge yourself.  However, I suspect you only have the Standard license, which means you will not be able to add the Catalog adapter yourself.

When you mentioned "in asking CA", I assume this was asking CA support.  They may have the ability to help with the merging of the adapters, but I suspect they may not know how to.

If you purchased Xtraction from CA, CA is supposed to provide first level support, therefore:

1. Open a support ticket with CA, attaching your datamodel.dat file from your Xtraction server and asking them to add the CA Service Catalog adapter.
          2. If they do not know how to do it, they should contact LANDESK support to assist them.

If you purchased Xtraction directly from Xtraction Solutions/LANDESK, then you are supported directly by LANDESK and should:

1. Open a support ticket with LANDESK, attaching your datamodel.dat file from your Xtraction server and asking them to add the CA Service Catalog adapter

Thanks,

Gregg

• 2. Re: Custom Fields and New Combined Install
            Rookie

Thanks GreggSmith. I have opened a support case with CA to do what you describe above. Yes I did buy it from CA, and no it's not the Enterprise version. Thanks for the information.

I'll update this thread with the results so others will know the outcome.

• 3. Re: Custom Fields and New Combined Install
              Rookie

Sorry it took so long but CA just got the file back to me last week. I'm very grateful for the answer above. CA was able to get Landesk to assist them and CA provided me a file that was converted. All I had to do was add the connection strings in the datamodel editor for new connections and it all came up perfectly.

Thanks again.

Mike