5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2011 2:55 AM by paramaguru

Add machine to AD OU?

Rookie

We are attempting to add a machine to a specific OU by checking the "Add device to an Active Directory OU" checkbox under Sysprep Options ... Network Credentials in the configuration.  The documentation and help says to use LDAP path syntax.  We're using LDAP://CN=XXXXX,OU=YYYYY,OU=ZZZZZ,DC=AAAAA,DC=BBBBB,DC=CCC  We can't find any examples anywhere to support what it's looking for...

During the sysprep phase when it attempts to add the machine to the domain it errors out - "An unexpected error has occurred while changing your computer's network identification.  Would you like to proceed for now and trying joining a domain later?  YES  or NO"  At this point when we click NO it prompts for credentials to add the machine to the domain - we continually get the same error.

We've tested simply adding the machine to the domain (by unchecking the box explained above) and that works fine - so we know it's not a rights or other issue, it definately has something to do with the OU insertion.

Is this the proper syntax?  Please advise.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Add machine to AD OU?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Try using this format:

MachineObjectOU
          Value: Domain Name System (DNS) name, LDAP pathThis value specifies the full LDAP path name of the organizational unit in which the computer belongs. For example:

MachineObjectOU="OU=MyOU,OU=MyParentOU,DC=mydom,DC=MyCompany,DC=com"

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: Add machine to AD OU?
            Rookie

Tried the suggestion and still getting the same error.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Add machine to AD OU?
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Try using NETDOM.EXE which comes with the Windows2003 Support Tools.  This is a commandline utility that allows you to do lots of things including joined the machine to the domain/directory in a particular OU.  I've used it quite a bit in the past when Sysprep hasn't been behaving.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 4. Re: Add machine to AD OU?
                Rookie

A little misunderstanding on our part.  We were under the assumption that LANDesk "injected" the additional info into the existing sysprep.inf file from the info provided in the configuration GUI.  After finding the actual .INF file that is used from the server we pinpointed the issue with the OU path.  Thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Add machine to AD OU?
                  Apprentice

Hi Randy,

I am also looking for the same kind of option...can you please explain how you have achived using answer file or anyother options to move the machine into OU...I am using provisioning template to join the machine into Domain... Now I am looking for to move the specific machine into specific OU.....

Please find the below example how I am expecting to move the machine into OU

example:

If we have 5 OU's like India,china,singapore,japan,srilanka totaly 1000 systems, from these machines we have to move particularly whichever machine name starts from "IN" it should move into "India" OU, like this whichever machine starts from "CH" it should move into "China" OU like that other OU also.

No only like above mentioned...It may be changed...I just gave an example about the OU details....for example if the Machine name starts from "LP" it should move into "India" OU, if machine name starts from "LD" it should move into "china" OU like this.... So we can't predict if Machine name starts from "IN" it should move into "India"....

Can you give some advice to perform this task.....

Thanks,

Paramaguru