Provisioning Task causing X: drive to fill and Services.exe is above 90%

Rookie

Landesk Core Version:  8.8 SP1

Windows Provisioning

ImageX image type

System:

Dell OptiPlex 755, 2GB Ram, 80GB HD

PXE .IMG File:

Modified, added WSH support, AHCI storage drivers, Intel NIC.

Issue:

When provisioning a Windows XP workstation the image takes an extremely long time to deploy compared to OSD or BDD and never finishes the provisioning task.

Steps:

1)  Assigned workstation the provisioning task via Landesk Console and started the job, the Delivery method is policy and the bandwidth limitations have been removed from the delivery method (this is just a test).

2)  Booted the workstation and it starts Managed Provisioning PE.

3)  Goes through the partitioning steps in the template and starts the imageX task in the template.

4)  Instead of taking 8 minutes it takes 50+ minutes.

5)  After completeing the image it is suppose to run a wsh script to copy down the driver cab file but never executes this task in the template.

6)  The imagex command window exits and then it stops, never restarts never runs the script.

7)  The provisioning item on the workstation object in the Landesk console says that it is still processing the image task.

The machine becomes very sluggish after a couple of minutes.  I noticed that the free space on the X: drive is dropping fairly quickly (starts with 12 MB free).  By the time the imaging process finishes the X: drive is out of space.  I looked at the task manager and it shows services.exe is running above 90% utilization.  I find a file that it keeps writing to every few seconds (X:\i386\SETUPAPI.LOG).  This file grows until it takes up all the space on the X: drive.

Attached is a zip file that contains the provisioning template and a portion of the SetupApi.Log.  The portion included is repeated every few seconds.

I currently have the bios settings for SATA set to AHCI.

• 1. Re: Provisioning Task causing X: drive to fill and Services.exe is above 90%
          Rookie

It appears the problem is occuring because of the Extend Partition Task that occurs after the partition is created.  By removing this task the utilization problem goes away and the provisioning template completes as expected.  I'm not sure whether it's the order in which I'm doing this or the values I have put in for the task.

partition action = expand

diskid = 0

partition = 1

size = empty (docs say this will use the remaining space on the disk).

• 2. Re: Provisioning Task causing X: drive to fill and Services.exe is above 90%
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

... so - if you've gone through the motions of writing down how to duplicate this, why aren't you raising this as a support ticket?

It may be a hardware specific issue (and I'm not sure we have a Dell GX 755 - we certainly don't in EMEA, possibly the US team has one), but either way, this should be addressed with support.

Other than raising this as an issue (and I don't see how other community members can help here) for others' awareness, I'm not quite sure what you're trying to acheive.

By the way -- something that may help you get a bit of insight into what provisioning is doing would be mentioned in the "how to troubleshoot provisioning" article here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2168

Is this what you're after?

Paul Hoffman

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Provisioning Task causing X: drive to fill and Services.exe is above 90%
              Rookie

I was trying to see if anyone else had this problem and maybe had found a solution.  I responded to my own post because I couldn't delete my original and I still had an issue caused by trying to extend the partition with the built in partition task, which again I thought someone here might have some insight on.  It isn't hardware related as it occurs on GX620's as well.

There is another issue I have with the template (Post OS - Configure OS task is failing) and from reading other posts in the community I can see I wasn't the only one with that issue, their issue was resolved but their fix isn't working for me.  I'll take your advice and call support instead of using the community based support.

• 4. Re: Provisioning Task causing X: drive to fill and Services.exe is above 90%
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Ahh OK - that makes sense then (context always helps).

Try out the community article I pointed towards - the advanced logging helps figure out what's going wrong - and from there the "why" is (usually) not too far off :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: Provisioning Task causing X: drive to fill and Services.exe is above 90%
                  Joshni SupportEmployee

Does this machine have a Broadcom 5700 series NIC in it?  If so there is a known issue with the driver.  It allows you to connect and pull a ip address etc, but it also causes the x:drive to fill up by writting to the setupapi.log file.  Since LANDesk does not own the hardware or the code for the driver we are not able to do much to resolve this issue at the moment.  we have been doing some testing internally to see if we can come up with a workaround.

I have a few things to try in my lab.  I will post the results.

Josh N.