1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 20, 2016 6:17 AM by phoffmann

Some devices in 'Sheduled Tasks' do not have log files

timeconsumer Rookie

Hello,

Curious to why some devices in 'Scheduled Tasks' have log files while others don't. All the devices I am targeting are online and reachable.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Some devices in 'Sheduled Tasks' do not have log files
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Which version of LDMS? I'm assuming 9.6 or newer, so ...

Have a look on a few of the devices, beginning with the SERVICEHOST log.

Basic flow of logs to look at:

1 - SERVICEHOST ... this is the "Core contacted me and told me to do stuff" log. If there's nothing here, the Core didn't reach the client (network comms usually).

2 - PolicySync ... in case you didn't push the task out, the policysync log will tell you "I checked the Core and got told to run X policies". This goes hand in hand with the Core-side log "ApmService.dll.log"  where you can see "device ID xxx has contacted me - I've given them X many policies to run".

Example of that log is like so:

10/19/2016 10:42:55 INFO  8460:3 RollingLog : Policy request from {e23f689f-04b1-924e-b614-ef28c1a5b3eb}
          10/19/2016 10:42:55 INFO  8460:3 RollingLog : Core has changed, resetting the core language cache
          10/19/2016 10:42:55 INFO  8460:3 RollingLog : Getting core language for Key:CurrentLanguage Language:ENU
          10/19/2016 10:42:55 INFO  8460:3 RollingLog : Getting core language for Key:LegacyLanguage Language:ENU
          10/19/2016 10:43:02 INFO  8460:3 RollingLog : RequestClientPolicies instance count: 0

... so that'll give you a "Client successfully contacted me" confirmation. The PolicySync will also tell you which policies (if any) were being executed.

3 - Next up is the SDCLIENT log(s). These hang around under "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\". Every policy has its own log-file there, and there's an overarching / general SDCLIENT log of "stuff I was told to run".

My guess would be that those boxes haven't run those policies for whatever reason at this point? Have a snoop around like that, and see what's what.

There's also these articles to help you along:

- How to quickly troubleshoot a Software Distribution job

- How to troubleshoot Software Distribution Tasks - Core Side (Advanced)

- How to troubleshoot Download Failures in Software Distribution (Advanced)

... that should be plenty to get you started.

1 of 1 people found this helpful