6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 7:25 AM by TonyZ

Recurring Scheduled task and maintenance window

TonyZ Rookie

We have a group of servers are set to apply windows update on a specific day(e.g. 3rd Tue.) every month. But I can't find the exact option in "Scheduled Task", So what I have done now is, to create a recurring scheduled task which runs on every week(Tuesday), and in the agent setting of the task, set the DPS maintenance window and reboot setting to every 3rd Tuesday. I was hoping the scheduled task runs every Tuesday, but will only apply fix and reboot on 3rd Tuesday.

But in reality, it ignore the maintenance window in the DPS setting, so it's trying to apply fix if applicable every Tuesday. However, it does comply with the window setting in reboot setting.

This is not ideal. We prefer the fix and reboot are only applied on 3rd Tuesday. Any tips to accomplish this? We are running 9.6sp2

Any help is highly appreciated!

Tony

• 1. Re: Recurring Scheduled task and maintenance window
          jaysmith SupportEmployee

Hi Tony,

In your scheduled task there is an option to 'ignore maintenance window if specified':

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.11.07_12h00m13s_004_.png

If that box is NOT checked, then your repair task should be honoring the maintenance window.  Be aware, vulscan will still run, it will still detect vulnerable patches, and it will even download the necessary patch files to the client device.  However it should defer the actual installation until the maintenance window is open. 

You should be able to see this deferral enumerated in the vulscan.log located in c:\programdata\landesk\log directory.  

Also keep in mind that your maintenance window needs to be set in the main, permanent agent setting that applies to your devices and is linked to your agent configuration.  You can't change the maintenance window when you send a new agent setting along with the task. 

• 2. Re: Recurring Scheduled task and maintenance window
            TonyZ Rookie

Thanks Jay for the info.

I have made sure we don't have the option checked. I opened a case with LANDesk. Somehow I couldn't duplicate the issue now, it appears work as expected, i.e. the patches were downloaded but defer the install according to the maintenance window. Maybe I was wrong, there might be something else caused the patch installed on non-maintenance window.

I am a little unclear about your statement "...You can't change the maintenance window when you send a new agent setting along with the task. " Most of our clients are using same standard agent settings, but in different scheduled task, we associate different maintenance window in DPS setting under the Agent setting of the task. Do you mean if I change the property of the scheduled task to a different DPS agent setting with different maintenance window, it won't work?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Recurring Scheduled task and maintenance window
              jaysmith SupportEmployee

Hey Tony,

The maintenance window configured within the distribution and patch setting that is selected in your agent configuration is the only maintenance window that will apply to the devices that use that agent.  If you create a task, and in the task properties select a different distribution and patch setting, the maintenance window within that different setting will not be applied. 

If you need to change the maintenance window on a device, open the agent setting that is linked to your agent configuration and change it there.  It will apply when vulscan runs next.  If you need to apply an entirely different agent setting, you'll need to push out a change settings task and select the new setting to apply to devices:

ChangeSettings.gif

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Recurring Scheduled task and maintenance window
                TonyZ Rookie

Wow, thanks a lot! Just verified this is the case. I never thought/knew about this. Is this by design and same in version 2016? Maybe it can better protect the system device, but it may be inconvenient in cases like when we want to apply an urgent patch at a different schedule, then we will have to create a new agent setting to send out, and revert it back after. I still feel it's more logical to allow maintenance been overwritten by scheduled task/DPS setting, so its' easier for us to move system around different custom group/schedule as necessary.

Any other things in the scheduled task to know about? I also found I have to recreate the scheduled task in the case if I want to change to a different DPS setting, or changed something in the DPS setting. It seems to me it only copied the data from DPS setting at time of creating the task.

• 5. Re: Recurring Scheduled task and maintenance window
                  jaysmith SupportEmployee

It is by design, and it's the same in 2016.  As you look at the maintenance window in your settings there is some text there to that effect.  We do allow the option to ignore the maintenance window, so if you needed to deploy something according to a different schedule, you could create the task, check the box to ignore the maintenance window, and then schedule the task to start later, at the time you wish it to kick off.  You could also use time zone aware targeting so it starts at the correct time on the target device even if it's not in the same time zone as your core server. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Recurring Scheduled task and maintenance window
                    TonyZ Rookie

Thanks for the info!