5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 12:58 PM by dmshimself

How to automatically initiate a request when a new user is created

rcronje Apprentice

Hi

We have a process in Asset Lifecyle Manager that assigns assets to users. We would like to automatically initiate this request workflow from Service Desk (7.8) when a new End User is created. In other words when a new end user is created in Service Desk (via an import) we would like to automatically call ALM to start the relevant workflow for each new user. We have integrated LDSD to ALM so that is not the issue. The issue is how to automatically initiate this process when a new user is created via the import into Service Desk. Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ryan

• 1. Re: How to automatically initiate a request when a new user is created
          andreas.lindner Expert

Hi Ryan,

if I'm correct, you are using the current Asset Lifecycle Manager (ALM) and you want to call the web service of the ALM?

If that's the case, you will only be able to call the web service if you add new (End)Users using a separate process in ServiceDesk. Like a Request for a new user that contains all necessary data to automatically add the new user to your Service Desk. From that process you will be able to add a new action to call the ALM web service and hand over some of the data to start your workflow.

It is not that difficult, but you have to be familiar with the Process Manager in Service Desk and have the experience to design processes. Is there someone that designs or implements your processes?

Regards,

Andreas

• 2. Re: How to automatically initiate a request when a new user is created
            rcronje Apprentice

Hi Andreas

We already have a request workflow that calls the Asset Request workflow in ALM. The trouble is that currently we have to manually initiate it for each new user that we create. We import all the new users into Service Desk via a Data Import. We would like to automate this for all the new users that get imported via the Data Import. Do you have any idea how we can accomplish this?

• 3. Re: How to automatically initiate a request when a new user is created
              rcronje Apprentice

Just to clarify. We have a Request workflow in Service Desk that is already configured to call the Asset Request Workflow in ALM.

• 4. Re: How to automatically initiate a request when a new user is created
                andreas.lindner Expert

Hi Ryan,

ok, I see. But currently there is no possibility, at least that I know of, to start a Process from a non-process Object like Users. So we're out of options in the case of importing directly to the (End)Users Object.

The only option that comes to my mind is that you import the users to a (new) request process that will create the users through an automatic action and starts the ALM Workflow afterwards. You can import almost anything to any process as long as all necessary attributes can be populated, that needs to be put into the Service Desk User Account. The option of a new process that reinitialises to your other process is also an option. The disadvantage in both cases is, that you need to find some sort of primary key, so that not every import will trigger new requests. I think that will be the best option.

As last resort maybe it will be possible to trigger an action directly from SQL after insert, but unfortunately that is not my field of expertize.

Sorry if I'm not so much of a help.

Andreas

• 5. Re: How to automatically initiate a request when a new user is created
                  ITSMMVPGroup

If you have access to Event Manager, then in theory you should be able to let it create an event in it's table when a new user gets created.  Then a database listener in ALM could look at this event manager table and fire off whatever it needs to do.