2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 6:53 AM by phoffmann

LAN/WAN bandwidth requirements for Provisoning Desktops using Legacy PXE Server

fnsp Rookie

I am interested knowing what the technical specifications are for LDMS 2016. 

I read the post for the Technical Architecture guide posted by Karenpeacock Bandwidth Usage of Landesk ServiceDesk Console "...See page 29 of the 732 one here"

However I do not have access to this resource and I am having difficulty locating the Landesk  Technical Specification and Architecture guide online.  Please advise

Thank you

• 1. Re: LAN/WAN bandwidth requirements for Provisoning Desktops using Legacy PXE Server
          LANDave SupportEmployee

I am not sure this would help you in this regard.  This document is for our Service Desk product.

You may be able to find some general PXE bandwidth information by searching the internet.

The .WIM file is going to be the biggest generator of traffic as it is ~ 400 meg.  If you are imaging multiple machines at a time using Multicast however it will only take that 400 meg one time to go to the clients being imaged.

The rest of the traffic is going to be minimal.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LAN/WAN bandwidth requirements for Provisoning Desktops using Legacy PXE Server
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

A few more details perhaps / a few more considerations.

So you can either make your life a lot easier or a lot more painful here - depending on how you've configured things (or the lack thereof).

So a few case in point examples / considerations:

• "PXE traffic itself" -- that's minimal ... that's a DHCP request and a bit around that. Negligible.
            • The boot WIM image -- that's ~400 MB (potentially more, depending on whether / how much you fiddle with it). If you have a PXE-rep local to the site (I'll assume in this case that "subnet" == "broadcast domain" == "site" to keep things simple), that'll save you having to go over the WAN for this.
            • The OS image itself can be anything from 2 GB to 20+ GB ... depends on how big you make it. Strongly recommend using preferred servers here to make sure you don't download across the WAN.
            • Post OS-install, you may have automatic software installs and / or patching - that too can go into the GB's and GB's ... again, preferred servers that are local to your site will make a HUGE difference here.

... there's still going to be comms between the client & the Core - but if you do it right, that's going to mostly contain itself to "hey, I'm done with step X - what do I do next?" type back & forth stuff. If you're aware of what "big downloads" you're going to be dealing with (which - as a minimum - is going to be "the WIM" and "the IMAGE"), you can make life considerably less stressful for your WAN .

You may also find some of the general points I raise in the Webinar about capturing OS images useful (I tried to cram a lot of other useful stuff in there too) which you can access for free here:

- [Tech Brief On-Demand Webinar 2016] Provisioning with LANDESK Management Suite

... by and large, this is a "how long is a piece of string" type question, since a LOT depends on how big your OS image / software stack and so on are, WHERE you keep them (i.e.: "only stored centrally" or "distributed to preferred package servers to each site'), and so on.

Hope that adds you a bit of a better insight into your question.

1 of 1 people found this helpful