1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2012 8:42 AM by Gjstewart

Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE

Rookie

We are currently running 3 diferent PXE servers for Production, Test and Servers. They each require to be placed on separate Vlans that have to be isolated.

What i would like to see happen is just have 1 PXE Rep host all three peboot.img files where during provisioning, you will have the option to be able to select from each one, whether you need to provision a server or a client in production or test.

is this possible?

TR

• 1. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

To do this you would need to configure your VLANs to use an iphelper so that the pxe requests get forwarded to a single PXE rep.  The setting for this will be different depending on the vendor of your switches.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Tony - the very purpose of the PXE reps is so that you DON'T have to go out an (re-)configure routers for port forwarding on PXE-packets and so on.

It's our way of making OS-deployment router friendly, and pretty easy to install + maintain. You can do this of course if you really want, just remember that we originally came up with the concept of the PXE-rep so that you wouldn't have to open up your routers :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Technically and factually accurate, however PXE Reps are a complete pain in the a**e if you have to deal with someone's fantastic idea to put ever floor on its own vlan because if makes the network diagrams looks interesting.

There are good reasons sometimes to open up the routers.

• 4. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE

Yes, there can be good reasons, no question there.

I just wanted to make sure that there were good reasons :).

Paul Hoffmann

• 5. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                  zman Master

Actually segmenting your shop so that vlans are very specific is a PITA for PXE, but there are numerous reasons for doing this and some that benefit LANDesk. Say I only want to push a specific job to one building or more precisely on floor. Very easy to do. Also makes netops troubleshooting a little easier. As LANDesk continues to move into larger and larger enterprises, this will be the norm. 

• 6. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                    Rookie

I find it hard to believe that the process for how landesk call the peboot.img file isn't as clear as i thought it would be. With the # of VLANs in our environment, not being able to place the image files on 1 PXE rep leads to unnecessary hardware clutter. I understand the reasons behind LANDesk's methodology, but it isn't helping our situation. 

The ability to contact the PXE rep on a different  VLAN isn''t an issue; the option to have a boot menu that will allow you to select from multiple image files is the goal we are seeking but have yet to be able to find a solution from within the registry or using the PXE configuration utility.

• 7. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

LANDesk is designed to have a single WinPE image with all customisation handled by the provisioning script.  Why is it that you need three different boot images rather than just using the one?

• 8. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                        Rookie

we currently have 3 core servers in our environment. one is a test server and 2 are production. the server team uses one prod servers with its own PXE rep  to provision their systems. Desktop Support uses the other production server to provision their clients. we test all the templates on the test server. 

our goal is to open up our Vlans to allow provisioning to work on one PXE rep across the network for all three above scenarios;  how to get the pxe rep to distinguish which image file to select is the stumbling block.

• 9. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE

Hold on a moment - are you trying to get a single PXE Rep to talk (up) to 3 different Core's?

'cos that's a flat out "no".

Adding additional boot options is quite possible -- but there's more to what a PXE Rep does -- it very much requires a 1:1 relationship with its Core. It needs its dedicated place to send/forward information to ... not a good idea to make him try to send stuff to 3 different places ...

... if I understand what you're actually trying to do? If I misunderstood, dumb the explanation down a bit (or paint a fuller picture) so I can understand what exactly (and why) you're trying to acheive.

Paul Hoffmann

• 10. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

I second Paul. LANDesk PXE Reps are designed to give a central point of control no matter how many PXE reps you have but they are not designed to handle multiple cores.

Looking at what you write, I don't see the major need for three images.  A test server should operate independently including a separate PXE rep since it is meant to be a test.  For the other cores, you need to have two reps because they are the ones th are defining the system's 'Home Core'' asthey will create the initial stub inventory record.  You could have a single rep and jus had a different provisioning script that installs the agent from a different core but you would need to make sure you clear out the stub records.

• 11. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                              Rookie

I was able to get the single PXE rep to work for multiple core servers.

The end goal of this was not to circumvent the process landesk has in place; instead, it will allow us to be able to open up the VLANs, have all PXE requests go to the same PXE rep where users can select from a customize menu, the image file they want to use from anywhere on the network. This eliminates a lot of overhead clutter, simplifies the provision process for all involved and gets us out of the CD making business.

Mr T

• 12. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                                zman Master

T,

Good to hear. Can you elaborate on how you accomplished this setup?

• 13. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                                  Rookie

The process is pretty long to write out. I will have to get back to you in a couple days. I did some of the steps you can find below but that was mostly at the end.

http://www.droppedpackets.org/osd/pe-imaging/adding-an-option-to-the-network-boot

• 14. Re: Reducing Multiple PXE Reps down to just ONE
                                    zman Master

Cool, NP just thought it would be a good write up to post here and on DP.

1 2 Previous Next