6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2008 9:04 AM by IT2B

Scripting and Mapping Drives

Rookie

My company currently using Desktop Authority and is considering moving to LanDesk Management suite. I actually have LDM 8.7 already installed.

One of the things I can do with DA is assign drive mappings based on Active directory group membership. Can I do that with LANDesk?

• 1. Re: Scripting and Mapping Drives
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

You can using batch file distribute with the run as logged in user option.  It really isn't designed for that though.  Realistically, AD is designed for that through the use of batch, kixtart, vbscript etc scripting.  You would be best looking at the current version of LANDesk 8.8 with SP2, 8.7 is pretty old now.  With that you can look at all of the options including the new Launchpad feature that will give you a lot more capability of presenting apps, links, etc to your users.

I would suggest you try not to let a legacy capability such as drive mapping that is accomplished through so many freeware tools hold you back from getting the benefits of LANDesk and everything else it can do.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: Scripting and Mapping Drives
            zman Master

Ron,

To help understand the reasoning behind this functionality can you briefly explain how you would use this in DA? Normally we do this in a login script, and try not to associate drive letters with software installations. The reasoning behind is that DFS/UNC makes it easier than drive letters. If driver letters change then you are screwed. If you setup DFS or more simply unc paths, there is less of a chance for that to change.  Plus depending on the complexity of your infrastructure you will run out of letters pretty quickly. 

As Mark indicated there are ways to accomplish this in LANDesk, just nothing baked in since it really is not needed for the majority of tasks. 

• 3. Re: Scripting and Mapping Drives
              Rookie

In Desktop Authority we use drive mappings to connect users to various shares. You can use what they call "validation logic" to map a drive based on the users group membership. I'm not a scripting expert, so this is a nice tool to leverage.

I can't use group policy because we are only delegated authority over our OU and not allowed to create GPOs of our own. Our parent company wants us to use LANDesk instead of DA for our administration.

I'm all for moving away from drive mappings and using network place shortcuts. But users love their drive mappings and it would take awhile to educate them.

• 4. Re: Scripting and Mapping Drives
                zman Master

Drive mappings are not the issue. They are here to stay for the foreseeable future. The issue is that in many shops the functionality that you are referring to is completed with login scripts (Windows and Novel). I'll defer to Paul but I've not see any ERs or requests for this functionality in LANDesk in any road maps.  So If your parent company is going to LANDesk, I would suggest centrally controlling drive mapping based on group membership with login scripts.

If you want to do it outside of LANDesk - then scripting is your only option.  Well the only one I see, maybe others have some suggestions.

• 5. Re: Scripting and Mapping Drives
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

I take it you are using scriptlogic whic h is a very nice scripting tool.  Use management asking you to move to LANDesk to highlight what you stand to lose so that they will give you the extra rights you need to avoid users being impacted by the change that is being promoted.  Ask them what they would want you to do in this situation since LANDesk isn't designed to do it and the current security rights prevent you from using AD.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 6. Re: Scripting and Mapping Drives
                    Rookie

Thanks for the input. I think LANDesk will do everything else we use Desktop Authority for. But this mapping thing is a big deal for us. So at least I know now to start testing some VBScripts and see if I can't get our parent company to delegate us some authority to deploy them. Or at least create a new GPO for us with the script.