9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 8:41 AM by phoffmann

Ghost image thru PIX Boot`

Rookie

I am trying to deploy a Ghost OS image via PIX Boot, does anyone have documentation on this.  I am using LD 7.8 SP5

Thanks

Ed

• 1. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`
          Rookie

Hello

Are you using an Ghost under DOS ?

• 2. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`
            Rookie

Ed,

Where are you at in the process?  Are you able to succesfully boot the machine into your PE enviroment?  Once the machine is in the PE enviroment, are you able to get an IP address?

If you can get an IP address, map a drive to a directory that has Ghost32.exe in it.  This directory should also be the location where you keep your images.

• 3. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`
              Rookie

I am able to ping and I get the PIX menu, but when I run the option for the ghost i get the following error message " Cannot open image file G:\LD001C23.chd [Win32 error! (0x0000000002) The system cannot find the file specified.

I have made sure that the ghost32.exe is in the same location as the ghost image but still get the same message.  Any suggestions?

thanks

Ed

• 4. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

"cannot find the file specified" sounds like networking issues to me.

I.e. - either the network drive mapping fails, or your user is having problems.

Which environment do you use? WinPE? DOS PE? This is going to be a big factor in "how friendly" your troubleshooting options will be ...

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`
                  Rookie

I am using WIN PE,  I went to H: that the WIN PE mapped and manually ran ghost32.exe and it ran sucessfully so it looks like the user is ok

• 6. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`

Ahhh - not quite though :).

It's not the "H:\" which you should worry about - it's "G:\LD001C23.chd" which is throwing the error.

So check if you can hit up G:\ (is it on a different server?) ... and see if you can access the file (either through Ghost32 itself, or just trying to copy it around a bit :).

Paul Hoffmann

• 7. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`
                      Rookie

It maps the g: but nothing is in there, I made sure that the location of the image and .exe is shared with full permission with the user ID.  I am still getting the same error.  this is the error in the log.  KLD-0010","ERR_Fail",-1917321217,0:00:29,9/23/2008 10:20:33 AM,9/23/2008 10:21:02 AM,""RunBatch -1 h:\FROMTA~1 ghost32.exe -clone,mode=load,src=g:\LD001C23.GHO,dst=1 -sure -auto -ffx", STATUS FACILITY=3511"
                      ; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

Any idea what I should look at next

thanks

Ed

• 8. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`
                        Rookie

also I am able to make a directory on the g:

• 9. Re: Ghost image thru PIX Boot`

It's not about making a directory, it's about making a file.

Try this:

G:
                          echo Hello World > testfile.gho

If that works, then Launch Ghost32 by hand, and try the operation by hand ... alternatively, you can also run FILEMON on the server where you're reading the image from / writing the image to (don't think you've specified), and monitor the directory where you're doing this. That should also give you an idea if you're running into a "nuh uh" from Windows.

Just to make sure - you HAVE changed the local policies on the Core ++ the server where you're pulling the image from, right? I'm talking about this stuff:

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/8358#8358

(Look for my commend, mentioning GPEDIT).

Paul Hoffmann