2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2008 8:19 AM by SiG

Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 Update using SWD

Apprentice

Has anyone got any experience of deploying Office 2003 SP3 using Software Distribution? If so which delivery method did you find gave the most probability of succes and least user interference? I've been tasked with updating around 3000 devices, we use 8.7 SP5.

• 1. Re: Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 Update using SWD
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

... well - the first question is going to be "how was office installed"?

That's one of the big issues - Office SP's will try to access the install-sources during the process, and if those have changed, it gets interesting :).

The delivery method is not so much something to worry about - getting the Service Pack file itself down to the clients is the easy part - whether you use multicasting or preferred servers or whatnot. The real headaches comes in dealing with the install sources and dealing with the install itself, as it were.

Do you happen to have more info on that subject?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Microsoft Office 2003 SP3 Update using SWD
            Apprentice

Majority were probably installed via UNC shares, I'd imagine the UNC shares are still intact, there may have been some from CDs and a few I installed via LANDesk myself.

Normally running the msp I extracted from the exe will install the SP ok regardless of install location, but it needs all office apps to be closed.