12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 12:37 PM by Landon Winburn

AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC

gregf SupportEmployee
      I’ve built a tool to export a customer’s AMC data and view it offline/offsite – AMCExport (beta).

The tool provides a near-complete view of a customer’s AMC configuration, along with a few little tricks:

Save Configs - Automatically export all assigned configs as MSIs at the time you run the export
      Dump event data - Save x days’ event data (configurable), exportable to Excel for filtering and pivoting
      Unbundle AM metadata - Filename, vendor, version and SHA1 hash are split into separate fields, making it much easier to view and analyse AM audit data.
      Translate User Profile Paths - C:\users\greg\chrome.exe and c:\users\fred\chrome.exe both become %userprofile%\chrome.exe, helping with aggregation of data (most frequently blocked exe path, for example)
      Export to Word - Produce a Word document containing table summarising all Deployment Groups – ready to be copied and pasted into a Health Check or As-Built document.

More details, a download link and some screenshots can be found here: http://desktopdownunder.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/amcexport.html

I developed the tool against AMC 8.6 but I’ve done some brief testing against 8.3 through to the 8.7 alpha.

All feedback welcome, particularly bug reports.

Greg
        • 1. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
          Landon Winburn ITSMMVPGroup
          First off, REALLY REALLY COOL! Everything worked great for me and it was all really quick and error free.

Comments/Requests:

Could the save location of the .AMC file be a subfolder of the folder where AMCExport.exe was run from instead of being hard coded to my docs?

In your screenshot above the Win7-EM84 line is highlighted. If you ctrl-c this you get the entire line. In the bottom just application manager is highlighted and if you ctrl-c this you get just application manager. Could we change the behavior of the above out put to be like that of the bottom so you can select stuff like the package name in assigned packages and just ctrl-c it to copy without getting the full line? Maybe like Excel you could have a deal on the left to select the entire line? Actually if you shift select the bottom stuff you can get the full line so maybe just change the behavior?

Really nice job on this!

Landon.
          • 2. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
            gregf SupportEmployee

Could the save location of the .AMC file be a subfolder of the folder where AMCExport.exe was run from instead of being hard coded to my docs?

Done.

If you ctrl-c this you get the entire line. In the bottom just application manager is highlighted and if you ctrl-c this you get just application manager.

I've changed the top one - and all other DataGridViews in the app - to default to single cell selection. I had made it row-only in most of them because I thought it looked neater and didn't expect anyone to want to copy a single cell. Anyway, it's back to the default behaviour - the one you asked for.

Maybe like Excel you could have a deal on the left to select the entire line?

I deliberately took that out as it looks horrible in the standard DataGridView. As you said you can always shift select as required (both rows and columns).

The updated version is revision 36909 and can be downloaded from the same link as before.
            • 3. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
              gregf SupportEmployee
              Also I fixed a bug this morning that caused the console to crash if opening an exported AMC with a config installation schedule set to Same As Agent.

On the way in the nearish future:

• License count
              • Schedule details - i.e. Sunday 00:00-06:00 etc.
              • Security role permissions (interpretation of the mask value that I currently just display as a number)
              • 4. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                gregf SupportEmployee
                Updated - the installation schedule details dialog is now implemented.
                • 5. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                  gregf SupportEmployee
                  Updated - the export-events-to-Excel stuff should now unbundle the AM parameters more consistently:
                  • file paths containing spaces or square brackets are now handled correctly
                  • Parameters are now exported in a consistent order (for each event type) - the Param 1 column will contain the same parameter for all events of a given type, Param 2 also etc.
                  • 6. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                    gregf SupportEmployee
                    Updated - now handles timeout exceptions for the SQL queries performed on export. Also the Export dialog allows you to override the default query timeout of 30s - in case you want to try to export a gazillion events.
                    • 7. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                      Chrisb1 Employee
                      One issue I ran into today is if a polling period is set to "1 day" it shows as TBD in the tool.  Think you can do a fix on that one?  ;)
                      • 8. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                        Chrisb1 Employee
                        I take it back, we didn't have the most recent version on the US APS share in dropbox.  Updated and it works like a champ now.
                        • 9. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                          gregf SupportEmployee
                          Updated to accept the name of a .amc file as a parameter - meaning you can associate .amc files in Explorer and it will load them when you launch one.
                          • 10. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                            gregf SupportEmployee
                            Updated - I've finally added in a tab for license details.

Decoding the license info is a bit finicky so please note the disclaimer on that tab - if you need to discuss commercials with a customer then don't use AMCExport, instead refer to what the Management Center says, along with their original license certificate and sales records.

Also I've added support for connecting to databases using SQL Server accounts rather than Integrated Auth.
                            • 11. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                              D_Mo Employee
                              AMCExport came into its own this week with a customer experiencing AMC console time-outs and general slow responsiveness. AMCExport showed one of the legacy Deployment Groups had approx 28,500,000 events captured, even though they were NOT displayed within the native console.
                              A deletion of the events took some time and put some pressure on the SQL box, however afterwards the time-outs disappeared and the AMC DB size reduced by approx 8GB.
                              • 12. Re: AMCExport - Offline Analysis of an AMC
                                Landon Winburn ITSMMVPGroup
                                Is it possible to add the SQL server name and maybe the recovery model to the Summary page?