6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 5:26 AM by adean

Using AM to manage web access

duberyy_wotsit Apprentice
      Hi,

We use AppSense in an education setting, can a simple rule be configured for blocking all web sites with the exception of a whitelist?  This would be useful for online exam scenarios.  I've looking at perhaps prohibiting ports 80 and 443 for all hosts using a wildcard and then just adding an an allow for the hosts I require...does this sound sensible?
        • 1. Re: Using AM to manage web access
          BChriscoli Expert
          It does sound sensible, however you need to consider what else on the device may use Port 80 and Port 443.. not just Web browsing.
          Environment Manager can be setup to use Port 80 or 443.
          Remoting programs can also be setup to use these ports.
          • 2. Re: Using AM to manage web access

BChriscoli wrote:

It does sound sensible, however you need to consider what else on the device may use Port 80 and Port 443.. not just Web browsing.
            Environment Manager can be setup to use Port 80 or 443.
            Remoting programs can also be setup to use these ports.

Indeed I just tried blocking *.*.*.* on 80 and 443 but then allowing *.bbc.co.uk as a test.  This did kind of work however it threw Chrome into a spin, causing it crash.  An exam workstation would use an AM config that only allows IE and an EM config to set the homepage to the required site so it may be more stable like that, I'll do some more testing...
            • 3. Re: Using AM to manage web access
              BChriscoli Expert
              You also need to account for other sites that may have 3rd party inserts in, such as Ads. If you exam site is ad-free and is all based on the same domain, it may be a win.
              Using it to whitelist just general sites can be problematic as per above.
              • 4. Re: Using AM to manage web access
                BChriscoli Expert
                You also need to account for other sites that may have 3rd party inserts in, such as Ads. If you exam site is ad-free and is all based on the same domain, it may be a win.
                • 5. Re: Using AM to manage web access

BChriscoli wrote:

It is a shame the URL redirection cannot be used in a whitelist rather than a blacklist fashion as it may achieve the end result more eloquently.
                  • 6. Re: Using AM to manage web access
                    adean Rookie
                    We had a very similar scenario, i have made a post in the tips section regarding blocking all websites:
                    Blocking all network traffic for a user

Due to the sheer number of backlinks websites have nowadays in the end it was far too labour intensive to maintain and we stopped using it for use cases that required anything outside of our intranet.