10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 8:42 AM by tknaller

Cisco Jabber Template

Landon Winburn ITSMMVPGroup

Cisco Jabber personalization template

• 1. Re: Cisco Jabber Template
          antoniosp Employee
          INFORMATIONAL ONLY: I am with a customer now the has version 9.x and I found it stores the encrypted user name and password file in this location C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF which has changed form previous versions. So if you wanted to persist the auto log in feature (Once the user enters their password details first time) you would assume to include this folder (as per template above) works if you use one endpoint, but if you roam between endpoints or use VDI non-persistent then this .sav (which holds the password information enrtypted with some Microsoft encryption) file has some connection to the endpoint and therefore will always ask for a password. But as long as the customer know that then all good.
          • 2. Re: Cisco Jabber Template
            tknaller Rookie

Thanks for that template, works great except for one thing: when you check "Start automatically with windows" in Options (not sure about the english wording as my OS & Jabber are in German) it simply doesn't work - I'd suspect this is because it writes something into HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run which gets virtualized away by AppSense and there cannot trigger at logon, because Windows doesn't see that before starting Jabber...

any idea on how to resolve this issue?

• 3. Re: Cisco Jabber Template

You can add the run key to a Windows Setting Group or optionally just add the single value and it should take care of that.

• 4. Re: Cisco Jabber Template
                tknaller Rookie

the problem is that due to the application virtualization happenning for the .exe-file of jabber that registry never gets added to the actual ntuser.dat which windows sees, therefore i can't believe that the windows setting group can catch that...

in other words: regedit -> Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Entry NOT THERE

AppSense -> Open Profile of User -> Open Cisco Jabber App (by Template) -> Open Registry -> Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run -> it's there (screenshot in my last post)

• 5. Re: Cisco Jabber Template

The template does not capture the run key so the value should write to the real registry. WSGs capture the real registry at logoff and restore it at logon before the run key is processed so adding the run key to a WSG will resolve the issue.

• 6. Re: Cisco Jabber Template

Apparently jabber is a restricted download. If you give me the value name in the run key I'll update the template for you.

• 7. Re: Cisco Jabber Template

Sorry, this one was missing the best practice excludes. I've added them in so the garbage doesn't get captured. If you have that value I'll add a WSG.

• 8. Re: Cisco Jabber Template
                        tknaller Rookie

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"Cisco Jabber"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Cisco Systems\\Cisco Jabber\\CiscoJabber.exe\""

• 9. Re: Cisco Jabber Template

Its updated. You can download it above.

• 10. Re: Cisco Jabber Template
                            tknaller Rookie

works great, thank you!

apparently i still have no clue of how appsense ticks

thanks again!