7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 6:40 PM by egarlepp

Custom Query output format

Rookie

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but have used Landesk for a couple of years now, but just getting to grips with 8.8 and custom queries. I am using the LDMS web console to create the query, and all works fine and the query runs and returns the results that I need. However, the results are returned in a column format, which would be fine, but the problem is that I need the results displayed in a different format. I need the results for each server displayed in a form type format, with the results for each server on a different page. I'll explain...

COLUMN FORMAT

Server Name / Manufacturer / Model / OS
      SERVER1 / Dell Computer Corporation / PowerEdge 2850 / Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
      SERVER2 / VMware, Inc. / VMware Virtual / Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      SERVER3 / Dell Inc. / PowerEdge 2950 / Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

FORMAT THAT I NEED

Server Name - SERVER1
      Manufacturer - Dell Computer Corporation
      Model - PowerEdge 2850
      OS - Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

> Page Break

Server Name - SERVER2
      Manufacturer - VMware, Inc.
      Model - VMware Virtual
      OS - Microsoft Windows XP Professional

> Page Break

Server Name - SERVER3
      Manufacturer - Dell Inc.
      Model - PowerEdge 2950
      OS - Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

Not sure if this is possible with Landesk, or even if I export a .csv file if there are any fancy tricks in Excel that I can perform? Any help would be appreciated.

Colin.

• 1. Re: Custom Query output format
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hmm - probably working based on a CSV file might be easiest. Let's throw a few ideas around...

Now the idea would be to run a script against that CSV file ... some like VBScript (or even AutoIT) could do it.

That could re-format your "basic" CSV file already a fair bit ... and you could then use a place holder for your page-break and try something like a "replace all" (though I don't recall the ASCII-code for a carriage return // page break at the moment).

So your script could - for instance - replace every "," (comma) with a carriage return, and at the end of the line of a string it finds, add a few extra carriage returns (enough for you to start a new page potentially) ...?

Bit crude and simplistic, but it may be a start? (in a rush, so sorry if I can't come up with something more elegant)  :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Custom Query output format
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

You can do this with custom reports in the management console.  Create a query that returns the machines you want and select the attributes you want to display as the columns.  Then design the report.  Instead of having the attributes arranged horizontally, move them so that they appear vertically.  This will give a report in the format you want, just not with the page breaks.

Seems odd though, it isn't a lot of information you want to display and with page breaks that will generate a lot of pages!

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 3. Re: Custom Query output format
              Rookie

Thanks for your reply, the custom reports section in the management console should give me exactly what I need, I've had a look and just need to play around with the settings to get what I want.

The query / report that I need to run is for about 50 servers, with each one having approx. one A4 page of information, hence the reason why I need the output in this particular format. I'd be easier if I could give my people the details in the standard column format, but they want it this other way!

Cheers, Colin.

• 4. Re: Custom Query output format
                Rookie

Hi,

I've been unable to re-design the layout of my report so that all of the fields and data are represented veritcally as rows on each page rather than being in column format (see attached screenshot).

Is there an easy way to adjust the "detail header" width and layout? I've looked through the help and LDMS manuals but cannot find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Colin.

• 5. Re: Custom Query output format
                  egarlepp Employee

Take a look at one of the reports that i designed and posted some time ago - http://community.landesk.com/support/message/12842#12842 

This report does similiar to what you are looking to do.  It may help you figure out what you need. 

Basically, you need to set the computername in a header/footer section and then set the new page option(on the right) to after to have it show the data for the section for each system.  I would play with that to get what you want to achieve.

EasyCapture1.bmp

Hope that helps...

• 6. Re: Custom Query output format
                    Rookie

EGarlepp,

Thanks for the information and examples, they really helped. I've made real progress today with my custom report - not finished yet, but getting there.

Cheers, Colin.

Not sure how I award you points, as I already awarded points on this particular question??

• 7. Re: Custom Query output format
                      egarlepp Employee

No worries.  As long as it helped you out is all that is important.  ;-)