5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2015 9:20 AM by Iueelyen

EM Policy to Set Open-With File Associations

nickm Rookie
      Hi All,  received a question from a customer today.  I have spent a small amount of time trying to sort it out myself, but thought that some one must have seen this before.

The customer is deploying Office 2013 to a small number of users that are licensed for the product.  They would like to setup an EM configuration such that if the user is licensed for Winword the default "open with" option for .doc & docx files will be to run winword.  For users that aren't licensed for winword they want the "open with" association to be for the Word viewer application.

I'm not worried about how we will deliver these specific configurations (will probably specify with AD groups), just wondering if anyone has already done this for Office 2013?
        • 1. Re: EM Policy to Set Open-With File Associations
          Landon Winburn ITSMMVPGroup
          I don't have a config for you but what you need to do is find the relevant file types in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts and export the keys after setting the file type associations the way you want them. Change the file type associations again and export again. Conditionally apply the registry values based on your user groups.
          • 2. Re: EM Policy to Set Open-With File Associations
            Iueelyen Rookie
            Hope i'm not Hijacking the thread but my problem is really close to this.

I'm trying to prevent the windows 8.1 "Reader" app from being the initial default pdf reader when someone logs into their VDI.   What I did was log in and manually set Acrobat as the default reader then exported the ...\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf key to a reg file.   I Imported that file into my User\Logon\ Policy Configuration in EM.  

When the user logs into the VDI and opens a pdf it now opens in Acrobat Reader.  The only problem is they are greeted with the "Make Adobe Reader my default PDF application" popup.  I'm thinking this may actually be an Adobe key.  Though i'd ask before I get too deep into it if my approach to this is the simplest/best.

Is there a simpler way?
            • 3. Re: EM Policy to Set Open-With File Associations
              Landon Winburn ITSMMVPGroup
              Your probably missing many other file types from that key other than PDF and its probably seeing that. The simplest solution is to just capture the entire key and let the user say yes the first time.
              • 5. Re: EM Policy to Set Open-With File Associations
                Iueelyen Rookie
                Thanks guys,  I actually got it wrapped up just now.  I did a combination of a few things.  I should note the desktop image i'm working on isn't going to be persistent.  Every time they log out it will reboot and go back to zero.  So I need to make some of these basic decisions for them so they don't see them.   

1) Adobe Acrobat XI ADMX file can be found here (disable updates,splash screen, 1st time launch crap, etc...):
                     ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.00/misc/

2) Setting the default file associations in windows 8.x via powershell & ADMX can be found here:
                     http://blogs.technet.com/b/mrmlcgn/archive/2013/02/26/windows-8-associate-a-file-type-or-protocol-with-a-specific-app-using-a-gpo-e-g-default-mail-client-for-mailto-protocol.aspx

Cliff notes version:
                     Run PowerShell with elevated permissions

::To export the initial list of file type associations
                        Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:c:\_Custom\FileTypes\FileAppAssoc.xml

::Edit the file with the apps you would like to set as default, some examples are as follows:
                        <Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgId="Applications\AcroRd32.exe" ApplicationName="Adobe Reader" />
                        <Association Identifier=".tif" ProgId="Evince.tifffile" ApplicationName="Evince" />

::to import list after editing them
                        Dism /Online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:c:\_Custom\FileTypes\FileAppAssoc.xml

::To get a list
                        dism /online /get-defaultappassociations

::Key that needs to be edited so everyone will pull this list
                         <HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System!DefaultAssociationsConfiguration>
                     ::Acomplished by editing a GPO
                        Computer configuration\administrative templates\Windows Components\File Explorer\ Set a default associations configuration file

3) EM\User\logon - Actions\Registry\CreateKey (this key unchecks "Tell me if Adobe reader is not my default PDF application" in general prefs) : 
                     [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\11.0\AVAlert\cCheckbox]
                     "iAppDoNotTakePDFOwnershipAtLaunch"=dword:00000001