7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 10:38 AM by scots

Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8

scots Apprentice

I have an off-core inventory server in our environment.  On a normal day, if I look in the ldscan directory first thing in the morning shortly after everyone has turned on their PC's I'll see around 1200 to 1500 .SCN files.  They'll usually be all processed and the directory cleared out by around 10:00am to 10:30am.  The directory will stay empty the rest of the day for the most part, with an occasional one or two .SCN files coming in and getting processed immediately off and on throughout the day.

I applied SP2 to both the core and off-core this past Sunday.  When I was checking everything first thing on Monday morning I noticed that there were absolutely no .SCN files in the ldscan directory.  I stopped and restarted the inventory service on both the core and off-core, and then saw some .SCN files start coming through so figured there had just been some little glitch and everything was OK.  Yesterday morning I checked everything again, and instead of the usual 1200 to 1500 .SCN files I found over 3200 files!  I've had unusual things happen with the off-core inventory server in the past after installing a SP, and an uninstall and reinstall of the off-core always seemed to fix the problem.  I did an uninstall and reinstall of the off-core and reapplied the SP to it.

Today I came in, and the same thing was going on again.  Today I've just let it go, and the number of .SCN files got up to almost 3600 before they started going down.  It's still working on processing these files, and it looks like it'll probably be somewhere around 2:00pm before it finishes going through all of them.  I haven't figured out if something about SP2 is causing more scans to run than in the past or if something is causing it to process the scan files a lot slower than in the past.

I checked the Windows event viewer and I don't see any error messages.  Also checked Task Manager and don't see any stray processes that are spiking processor or memory or anything unusual like that which might be slowing the server down.  Server has been rebooted at least two or three times.  When I did the reinstall yesterday I deleted the Off-Core Inventory Server directory after the uninstall to make sure everything there was all gone before reinstalling.  I didn't change any settings for inventory scanning.  The only thing I did was install SP2.

Is anyone else seeing anything like this going on?  Have any ideas what's happening?  Any ideas of anything else I can check?

• 1. Re: Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Perhaps you have a slightly different agent configuration out there thats scanning more often.  How many machines do you actually have and how many would you be expecting to be scanning each day?

Also, I've tended to find a better performance improvement by increasing the number of DB Threads so that it processes more into the database at the same time.  On the core you will find that setting under Configure - Services - Inventory - Advanced Settings.  try setting it to 2 or 3 and see if that improves things (don't forget to restart the service though).

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8
            scots Apprentice

I haven't made any changes at all to the configuration, so it shouldn't scan any differently/more frequently than it has in the past.  All I did was install SP 2 on the core and off-core inventory servers.  Haven't done anything else at all so far, so SP 2 on the server is the only thing I can think of that could have done this.  I haven't figured out if more scans are coming in than usual, or if it's the same number of scans but it's processing them a lot slower than it used to.  We have just a little over 6800 machines.  I normally see anywhere from 1200 to 1500 (approximately) scan files around 9:00am, and they get all processed and the ldscan directory is empty usually no later than 10:00am to 10:30am.  Inventory scanning settings have always been every 7 days and whenever the machine's IP address changes with an up to 1 hour random delay, and I checked to verify that the settings hadn't changed.  I changed the DB threads to 3 as you suggested, so we'll see if that helps any.  It finally finished processing all those scans from this morning right at 2:00pm, just like I estimated.

• 3. Re: Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Just be aware that increasing the # of DB threads means considerably more work for your Core + your DB (and memory consumption too).

If you're in doubt / thinking you might be running into a performance wall, check this document - it's got all the performance counters you need to check:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2356

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8
                Apprentice

We had this problem with our old servers.

What are the CPU/RAM specs of your core/off core/DB servers?

What are the agent settings for the inventory scanning frequency (the default is daily i thnik)?

Have you updated any/all your clients?

• 5. Re: Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8
                  scots Apprentice

Well...I came in this morning and found that the inventory service crapped out.  Since it was working before (although slowly) and I didn't make any other changes I'm assuming it was the change of DB threads from 1 to 3, so I changed it back to 1.

My core server is an Intel Xeon 3.06GHz w/ 4GB RAM, and my off-core is an Intel Xeon 3.06GHz w/ 2GB RAM.  Inventory scanning is set to every 7 days and a mini scan on IP address change with an up to 1 hour random delay.  I have not made any changes to these settings in a long time.  I've only updated a few clients so far.  The majority of them are still on 8.7.  We're getting ready to switch from Symantec Antivirus to LANDesk Antivirus, and I was going to convert the clients to LDAV and update them to 8.8 in one go-round.

• 6. Re: Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

You know there's a number between 1 and 3 don't you?

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 7. Re: Inventory processing weirdness after applying SP2 to 8.8
                      scots Apprentice

LOL  

Yeah...I'll try 2 in a bit.  I put it back to 1 to see if things started working again, and it looks like they are.

Now I've got a couple people who I've put SP2 on the client saying that ScanningProcess.exe is eating up 40 to 50% of their CPU first thing in the morning and really slowing their PC's down.