7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 8:47 PM by randyb1

EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location

SteveJ Rookie
      I've encountered a number of 'mature' roaming profile setups where the users roaming profiles are spread across multiple servers and shares - this proves problematic using the new functionality in EM8.6 Personalization to import from a network location.

The attached EM config uses a pre-session custom condition (custom actions are not available pre-session) to populate 3 environment variables (%AppSense_RP_Server%, %AppSense_RP_Share% & %AppSense_RP_UserPath%) from the AD roamingProfile property that can then be used in the Personalization import 'Network Location' as \\%AppSense_RP_Server%\%AppSense_RP_Share%\%AppSense_RP_UserPath%. (The reason for splitting the string into 3 separate parts is to satisfy the sanity check of the network location dialog).
        • 1. Re: EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location
          jonr Employee
          Thanks for this Steve. Very helpful!
          • 2. Re: EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location
            duberyy_wotsit Apprentice

SteveJ wrote:

I've encountered a number of 'mature' roaming profile setups where the users roaming profiles are spread across multiple servers and shares - this proves problematic using the new functionality in EM8.6 Personalization to import from a network location.

The attached EM config uses a pre-session custom condition (custom actions are not available pre-session) to populate 3 environment variables (%AppSense_RP_Server%, %AppSense_RP_Share% & %AppSense_RP_UserPath%) from the AD roamingProfile property that can then be used in the Personalization import 'Network Location' as \\%AppSense_RP_Server%\%AppSense_RP_Share%\%AppSense_RP_UserPath%. (The reason for splitting the string into 3 separate parts is to satisfy the sanity check of the network location dialog).

Superb.  I have exactly this issue, will give it a try...

Does the import only run the first time a user logs in (i.e no data in database) or will it run if an import job has not been run already?  The reason I ask is that I have so far migrated 5,000 users without using the import function as it did not provide the functionality you have resolved but I do not now want to import their roaming profile data over the top of what they now have as it will be outdated.

Thanks
            • 3. Re: EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location
              jonr Employee
              It runs at first logon, but if you later make changes to the apps in the PG you have the option to import those apps again.
              • 4. Re: EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location
                duberyy_wotsit Apprentice

jonrolls wrote:

It runs at first logon, but if you later make changes to the apps in the PG you have the option to import those apps again.

Great, so how I currently stand my existing users will not be affected if I enable this.  Will obviously test first!

Thanks
                • 5. Re: EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location
                  randyb1 Employee
                  I'm trying to do something similar with UPM profiles.  I'm not using the script to set the environment variables in Pre-Session; just using normal conditions and environment variable actions.  But it's not finding the profile.  I wouldn't think this method would work, because personalization happens before policy on logon, so the environment variable wouldn't get set until after profile migration had already run anyway.  Obviously, if this worked for you, I'm missing something.
                  • 6. Re: EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location
                    SteveJ Rookie

randy.barger wrote:

I'm trying to do something similar with UPM profiles.  I'm not using the script to set the environment variables in Pre-Session; just using normal conditions and environment variable actions.  But it's not finding the profile.  I wouldn't think this method would work, because personalization happens before policy on logon, so the environment variable wouldn't get set until after profile migration had already run anyway.  Obviously, if this worked for you, I'm missing something.

Hi Randy,

To clarify the logon sequence in EM8.6 it goes as follows -

1) Pre-Session policy - runs before terminal services starts (this includes Win7+)
                    2) Personalization loads at TS session startup
                    3) Pre-Desktop policy
                    4) Shell launches
                    5) Desktop Created policy

I'm not sure about the use of UPM profiles (as I've not encountered them) with the automated logon import, but there's nothing stopping you from allowing UPM to load normally and then using the import local profile option in PS. Once a user has logged on you could set a flag (using a file in their network profile location) to use in a pre-session policy which then disables UPM.

Hope that helps.

SteveJ
                    • 7. Re: EM8.6 Import Profile using AD roamingProfile location
                      randyb1 Employee
                      Thanks Steve.  Turns out the settings I have were working fine.  The test account had a corrupted UPM profile.  Tried with other accounts and worked perfectly.