10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 9:29 AM by randyb1

File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?

jscc Rookie
      Hi,
      one question to file exclusions in EM 8.5. We have defined file exclusions for an application group.
      The file exclusions are working, newer files are not personalized as i can see in Personalization Analysis.
      But how can i remove the old files from the Personalization Database?
      I have defined the following Settings in Advanced Settings:
      ProfileCleanupDelayDays 2
      Thanks for help.
      Regards,
      Jörg
        • 1. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
          randyb1 Employee
          The ProfileCleanupDelayDays is the correct setting, but this cleanup action doesn't occur on the database side.  It happens on the client side.  When the user logs in on Day 3, the data should be cleaned up for that user.
          • 2. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
            PratikPawar Apprentice

randy.barger wrote:

The ProfileCleanupDelayDays is the correct setting, but this cleanup action doesn't occur on the database side.  It happens on the client side.  When the user logs in on Day 3, the data should be cleaned up for that user.

Then still we able to see that data in Personalization analysis, so how can we delete from there?
            Is there any way apart from script support from Appsense.
            • 3. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
              BChriscoli Expert
              As Randy said, it should cleanup when the user uses the app.
              If you need a script to wipe it out, tell me the file extensions and the application group name and I'll put something up.
              • 4. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
                PratikPawar Apprentice

BChriscoli wrote:

As Randy said, it should cleanup when the user uses the app.
                If you need a script to wipe it out, tell me the file extensions and the application group name and I'll put something up.

We have few applications who are consuming lot of space, later we added the exclusion paths. As jscc said after exclusion those are not getting personalize however we can still see those in Personalization Analysis. We have set ProfileCleanupDelayDays to 1 and Randy said that cleanup happens at client side not database end (whats the use of that then). We used app after exclusion still even after 24 hours it is present in Personalization Analysis.

Still I am not clear what is the use of introducing new option "ProfileCleanupDelayDays" ??

BChriscoli I want to clear the entire folder (older version folder) from Application group. Lets say "abc" folder from "xyz" group.

I can see APPSENSESPECIAL option to clear this but again everytime you need to update EM Policy
                • 5. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
                  BChriscoli Expert
                  I can provide a SQL Script, if you have the ability to run it on SQL?
                  • 6. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
                    PratikPawar Apprentice

BChriscoli wrote:

I can provide a SQL Script, if you have the ability to run it on SQL?

I can run that on SQL.
                    • 7. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
                      randyb1 Employee

Pratik Pawar wrote:

We have set ProfileCleanupDelayDays to 1 and Randy said that cleanup happens at client side not database end (whats the use of that then). We used app after exclusion still even after 24 hours it is present in Personalization Analysis.

Still I am not clear what is the use of introducing new option "ProfileCleanupDelayDays" ??

Pratik,

Hopefully Bryan was able to assist you with a SQL script to do some bulk cleanup.  In Environment Manager v10, there will be some "bulk operations" included in the product, but I don't know if this will specifically be one of those cleanup items.

The way the "ProfileCleanupDelaysDays" works is this:
                      1. EM agent receives personalization configuration from personalization server, including current application group include and exclude rules.
                      2. EM agent downloads application group personalization data when application is launched.
                      3. Upon closing the application, the EM agent checks the "ProfileCleanupDelayDays" value, and if enabled, compares the personalization data against the includes and excludes.  Any personalization data that doesn't match the current includes and excludes, and is older than the "ProfileCleanupDelayDays" value then gets removed from the user's profile.

Example:
                      - Application Group "Adobe" is collecting "%APPDATA%\Adobe"
                      - User "HJohnson" has tons of files being collected in "%APPDATA%\Adobe\LOGS"
                      - An exclude is added for the LOGS directory on Monday
                      - ProfileCleanupDelay Days is set to "1"
                      - HJohnson logs in on Tuesday; no cleanup happens because the data in the logs folder isn't older than 1 day
                      - HJohnson logs in on Wednesday and cleanup occurs after he opens and closes the application, because the data in the logs folder is older than 1 day

If you want cleanup to occur immediately, set the ProfileCleanupDelayDays to "0".  Be careful with this setting though; the reason a delay is important is to allow time for you to find out if the personalization data is actually needed or not.  If you find out the data is needed, you can remove the new exclude, and users still have the data in their profile.

Also, with the initial release of EM 8.5, the ProfileCleanupDelayDays setting didn't always work.  This was addressed later with a hotfix.  Make sure you're running the latest service packs and hotfixes.  http://www.appsense.com/kb/150622246079247
                      • 8. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
                        PratikPawar Apprentice
                        Thank you for the detail explanation Randy.
                        • 9. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
                          Alan.Reid Rookie

Does this hold true for files captured under Windows Settings Group, I am trying to get rid of some but even though I have excluded them
                          they aren't being deleted from the personalisaton database ?

• 10. Re: File Exclusions - How Remove existing files from Database?
                            randyb1 Employee

It should hold true for WSGs as well.  Are you doing the exclusions in the WSG, or in the Global Application Settings?  The Global Application Settings only apply to Application Groups, not WSGs.  So make sure you're doing the exclusions in the WSG.  If you're doing them in the WSG and it's not working, I'd suggest contacting Support to troubleshoot.