4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 3:21 AM by lauratlauer

Moving from virtual only environemnets to physical desktops

Landon Winburn Expert
      One of the challenges I see a lot is when a customer deploys EM to manage their virtual environments. They then decide that the tool is really powerful and then want to extend this functionality to physical desktops. The issue here is a lot of times the users on those physical desktops use the virtual environments very little and we don't want the settings from the virtual environment (which are probably old and not complete) to override their personal desktops first time they logon. They essentially need to reimport their profile back into Personalization.

To help achieve this I've thrown together some templates to share. The first thing you need to do is condition your WSGs so they still apply to your virtual environment but will not apply to the physical desktops. To condition out the desktops we need to use a folder condition as there are no ways to save a run once flag for a WSG inside of personalization. Each WSG will need a condition similar to this.

Once that's in place we can setup EM policy to check if they are logging into a desktop for the first time then reimport the applications into personalization.

Here we are using the new ImportData86 which I've posted earlier ImportData86.exe to reimport all the application groups and then creating the PhysicalReimport folder on the share so it doesn't happen again. This is the key. Since the folder didn't exist at logon the WSGs will fail the conditions and your desktop settings will not override the local settings on the desktop. Now that the folder exists it will save the WSGs at logoff as WSG conditions are re-evaluated at logoff. At the same time here we are creating a shortcut on the start menu called Reimport My Profile. This is just a failsafe in case someone logs into their non-primary machine first after you deploy this config. You could instruct them to run the shortcut on the start menu from their primary PC to reimport their profile.

Also attached is the policy template I used.

Landon.
        • 1. Re: Moving from virtual only environemnets to physical desktops
          Roger1 Apprentice
          Thanks for the ImportData update - now even easier to use.  I think I follow what you're saying but would like to verify a couple of points. 

-On your first screenshot, are you checking that the folder exists (the end of it is cut off)?

To condition out the desktops we need to use a folder condition as there are no ways to save a run once flag for a WSG inside of personalization.

-I have a backup/restore strategy (rather full wsg sync upon every logon) on workstations where WSGs check against conditions (environment variables).  I am in the process of re-working it so that it checks against HKCU RunOnce values as well.  This seems to work so far in test but from your statement above should I steer clear of checking for HKCU registry conditions and use folders/file/env variables conditions instead?  While we're on the subject, is this the correct flow for logons:  Pre-session, Windows Personalization, Pre-Desktop, Desktop Created where Windows Personalization checks conditions and applies personalization?
          • 2. Re: Moving from virtual only environemnets to physical desktops
            Landon Winburn Expert
            Its a folder condition, the same folder I'm setting in the EM policy.

The issue with using reg values for runonce conditions on WSGs is you have no way of laying down the stored runonce values on a new profile BEFORE the WSGs apply. So you've already ran your runonce item and its stored in a runonce key in a WSG. You logon to a new machine which it builds a blank profile. WSG conditions run and don't see the run once value so it applies everything including your run once flag after its evaluated as not being there. A folder on a share is the only thing that you can flag on that is persistent across machines and is available before WSG conditions are ran.
            • 3. Re: Moving from virtual only environemnets to physical desktops
              Roger1 Apprentice
              Oh, the folder is on a share and not local.  I missed that part.  Makes perfect sense if you want something that is persistent.  Not noticing that your folder was remote, I thought you were saying WSG conditions should not use HCKU conditions due to timing issues or bugs.  I see, now that's not the case.  For my scenario, I want the select WSGs to sync down if it's a new local profile/first logon. I think we're golden.  Thanks for the info!

Roger
              • 4. Re: Moving from virtual only environemnets to physical desktops
                lauratlauer Rookie
                Thank you so much for providing this useful information.It is now very easy to use for import data update.for getting writing service please contact essay writing service review,They are providing best services for customer in order to improve customer performance and skills.They are large number of students widely depending on essay writing service review for completing essays and assignments