1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 5:49 AM by sjgoode

WinPE PxeMenu Blank

Apprentice

Ok, new server running LD 8..8 (Thanks to Pau Hoffman for his help)

PXE rep has been deployed,

WINPE capture script has been created and added to PXE boot menu

Reboot guest machine, Boot menu appears after pressing F8

Choose WinPe Menu

WinPE Loads (goes through hardware, starts networking etc.)

Gets IP address.

Resolves Core server name

PXeMenu Appears.... but is blank.

I personally think this could be a rights issue with the IIS since going to http:\\coreserver\landesk\files\dosmenu.cfg failes with "service unavailable"

However I have tried changing the LDsleep timeout to 10 minutes, but the issue still occurs. Have followed OSD deployment to the letter and still no menu appears.

Any thoughts or comments?

Regards

• 1. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

That has to be the source since WinPE can't download the file.  Take a look in the event log of the core,are you seeing any .Net errors that might indicate that web services aren't functioning correctly?

Make sure that in the properties of your LANDesk virtual directory in IIS that ASP.NET is set to using v2.x of .NET.  Depending on the error, you might have something running at v1.1 in the same application pool and that would shown in the event log error as unable to run two versions of .NET.  Find the offending application and put it into a new application pool set to ASP.NET 1.1.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
            Apprentice

Nice one Mark, that put me in the right direction at least.

If anyone else is having trouble follow this Microsoft KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965) for a resolution.

I'm still not out the woods yet, since now I can see the menu, but every time I make a selection (for capture) the machine reboots

• 3. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

It depends where / why it reboots.

Have a look at the log-file on the Core, to see what commands get worked down. I'm suspecting that the reboot might be "normal", in regards to the Core sending commands and those being worked down (and some failing very quickly) - and at some point the Core reaches the point "send a reboot", and does so.

If this suspicion is correct, then you need to bring up a command-line box and run through the command lines of the script one by one - best way to find out what's breaking your process, since you get good (well - OK) feedback from the command-line box, and can try to fix the command-line "on the run", so you know what you need to fix in your script.

Usually things like "bad network mapping" (i.e. - user/password / lack of LMHOSTS + HOSTS entries) causes this sort of thing.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                Apprentice

Paul,

Thanks for that,. Could be also though that I am having trouble accessing  http://localhost/landesk/ManagementSuite/Core/core.webservices/pxe.asmx this??

Can you also remind me of the location of the log files?

thx

• 5. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank

Unlikely - since you CAN get to the PXE boot menu (and this has to work for the boot menu to display) and secondly "something happens" when you press a boot option (the client doesn't reboot on its own - I'm sure that CUSTJOB is starting on your Core and tells your client to reboot).

But for reference, this would be something to track in the IIS log - which is by default in here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1\

With one log file per day.

Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                    Apprentice

Thanks Paul,

I've just spoken with Gilles and he said it could not be working because the PXE rep is on the same server as the core. But there is no mention of this in the OS Deployment of Windows XP Using WinPE Best Known Method.pdf

:-(

• 7. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank

Uh - yeah - that's a bad idea.

It's "OK" (normally) for a test environment, but in a prod environment the Core should never be the PXE Rep. That tends to cause more problems than it solves :).

Moving the PXE-rep to another system is certainly the right move, Gilles is absolutely correct in that.

I'll add a comment to the document you pointed to (and add a comment to my "you should/should not"-document...

Paul Hoffmann

• 8. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                        Apprentice

Ok, I will try another server as a PXE rep.

Thank you for the input

• 9. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                          Apprentice

PXE rep now moved (after a little grief), same thing happens with the PxeMenu script

* sighs deeply and thinks about going to the pub

• 10. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                            ahe Expert

Two things:

Did you check the file winnt.sif in directory "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\wpemenu" of your new PXE server (service on old server is stopped and deactivated?)

[ setupdata ]
                            BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
                            BootPath = "\i386\system32\"

OSLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdimageoffset=0 /rdpath=peboot.img /pxemenu=true"

The important entry is the value "true" at the end of the last line...

If you start a command shell in your PE, is it possible to map the drive to your core to the directory where your dosmenu.cfg file is stored?

\\ core\ldmain\landesk\files

Does this mapping work with your account from your OSD script?

(sorry for this question: does you press "update" in your PXE Boot Menu tool on the core?)

Regards

Axel

• 11. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

I vote you go down the pub. Things often look different after a few pints. Not necessarily any clearer but most certainly different.

• 12. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                                Apprentice

Axel,

1) Yes the winnt.sif file looks correct

2) I can map to \\core\ldmain, BUT cannot dir at this level, so maybe permissions perhaps???

• 13. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                                  Apprentice

Mark,

I would give you a "correct answer" for that reply....but only if it DID really resolve my issue 

• 14. Re: WinPE PxeMenu Blank
                                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

If only there was another 'helpful' set of points available.

Anyway, you haven't tried it yet, don't dismiss it so quickly.

1 2 3 Previous Next