I'm having some problems getting LDSM 8.8 SP1 Server Mionitoring working correctly at my site. If I open up a Server View in the browser and navigate to the 'Monitoring' section the following text appears where the 'Active Performance Counter' window should appear:
'The Performance counters provider is not installed on this device'.
I have included a screenshot attached.
I get this for approximately 60% of the 80+ Windows 2003 Servers that I've installed the LANDesk client on. I have used the same client on all Servers. Occasionally if I press 'Refresh' often enough (30+times) I can get the expected 'Active Performance Counters' window to appear. I have successfully deployed the 'LDMS default ruleset' plus some others I've created to all Servers.
Anybody else seen this and could give me some pointers please. I have a current support call in with my privider but they haven't been able to solve it yet.
monitor.JPG 106.0 K