5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 5:31 AM by Markus.Gonser

LanDesk Service Desk Infrastrcuture

Shabba32 Apprentice

Hi,

My company will be implementing LanDesk Service Desk shortly and I have viewed the recommended infrastructure however the amount of servers recommended seems a bit excessive. Here is a bit about the volume of users etc:

Company has 1700 end users

65 Fixed Analyst Licenses

5 Concurrent Licenses

We plan to use Incident, Change, Problem and the End user Portal.

Reporting - we will not run extensive reports only standard out of the box type reports, only really used by the IT department.

The recommendation seems to be to have two database servers with failover clustering, an application server, Crystal Reports server, Terminal server, two web server for load balancing - in addition to this I would need a test environment.

Anyone out there dealt with a similar deployment size to the above and have any recommendations about how it is working for you?

Thanks you!!

Plus - if I have directed my post to the relevant specific group let me know - I will only be posting regarding Service Desk so if I can target that audience all the better.

• 1. Re: LanDesk Service Desk Infrastrcuture
          Markus.Gonser ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Shabba32,

the classic environment for LANDESK ServiceDesk will be:

- 1 application server for PROD

- 1 web server for PROD

- 1 database for PROD (single installation or on a sql cluster)

For better implementation of new processes, and s.o. you should build also a test environment:

- 1 server for application and web for TEST

- 1 database for TEST (could be on the same server as the PROD database)

the configuration of the web server depends on how many users will be signed in to the same time.

Here you should monitor the processor and ram and then if needed add more ram.

I hope this helps you to create your environment.

best regards

Markus

• 2. Re: LanDesk Service Desk Infrastrcuture
            Shabba32 Apprentice

Thank you Marcus, really appreciate your feedback.

Just out of curiosity have you built an environment based on this structure that has supported the number of users I have referred to above and it been performing ok?

I m going to go with your recommendation, just interested to know.

• 3. Re: LanDesk Service Desk Infrastrcuture

Hi Shabba32,

normally the test environment is only to build new processes and test other things. so there are maximum of 2 or 3 users logged in. In this case one server is enough.

best regards

Markus

• 4. Re: LanDesk Service Desk Infrastrcuture
                Shabba32 Apprentice

Sounds great for the test environment.

I was particularly interested in the live environment:

the classic environment for LANDESK ServiceDesk will be:

- 1 application server for PROD

- 1 web server for PROD

- 1 database for PROD (single installation or on a sql cluster)

For the number of users I have. As I said I am probably going to go with it anyway just wondered if you had build a live environment for around 200 users with this configuration and if it had performed ok?

last question honest, I won't trouble you any more

• 5. Re: LanDesk Service Desk Infrastrcuture

Hi,

the thing is the size of the servers. For the webserver you have to configure a minimum of 8GB RAM - better 12 GB RAM.

The application server run on at least 6GB RAM. Both with 2 Cores. If you see that the 8/12 GB RAM on your webserver are full the whole time, then

extend it to 16GB RAM. Also what´s good to do is to create a schedule task to recycle the app-pools of the iis in recurring time.

best regards

Markus