4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2016 4:54 AM by phoffmann

Building a Custom report for a single application that displays all machines.

Gregory Rookie

Hello All,

I trying to build a report to find which machines have a specific application.  I want this report to display all machines that have the application, and in the same report, I would like for it to show all the machines that do not have it.  The testing that I have done so far only gives me one or the other.  Can someone assist me with this issue?

• 1. Re: Building a Custom report for a single application that displays all machines.
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Not easily that I can think of.

Your problem is that you have two (very) opposite result sets that you want to join up. And usually the query tools operate on a principle of specifically INCLUDING or EXCLUDING certain results - not combining the two.

You COULD go for a column set potentially, but that'd kill you with kindness (/clutter) more likely than not.

In SQL terms, that'd be quite doable via a UNION statement ... SQL UNION Operator .

You COULD probably try to swing it that way and just write 99% of your report query as a SQL statement - but that'd require the following:

1 - you need to be familiar with SQL.

2 - You need to know about the application you're trying to report on (as different applications can be different levels of pain in the neck to do so accurately on).

3 - You need to be OK with the report designer & using the SQL section in there (and you should be able to UNION-ise.

Out of curiousity - why is the fact that you'd have 2 separate reports (one list of devices WITH the software and one WITHOUT it) an issue / headache? Would've thought that it'd provide a more direct "kill list" as it were?

• 2. Re: Building a Custom report for a single application that displays all machines.
            Gregory Rookie

The info that I'm pulling is for an audit.  I wanted my data to all machines, and a yes or not about a particular software application.

• 3. Re: Building a Custom report for a single application that displays all machines.
              LANDeskWizrd SSMMVPGroup

So, the only way I can think of doing this, outside of SQL, is to use a qualifier for the application name column. This should show you all devices and only fill in the application name column for those that have the said application. For the actual query condition, chose something like Device Name exists so you don't limit the results.

Here is a detailed doc on custom queries Custom Database Queries: How they work, guidelines on creating them, and examples of them in action

• 4. Re: Building a Custom report for a single application that displays all machines.
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yep - a qualifier would work.

So - create a query for "all devices" (i.e. - something like this) - leaving the default columns seleced:

Query_AllDevices.jpg

Now - separately - create a column set with the data that you want / need. In this case, I've used JUST the default 3 columns and added a 4th one being one of the software Package Titles & use the QUALIFIER field/button to specify the bit of software you're after:

ColumnSet_With_Qualifier.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I'm using "Software - Package - Title" just as a guiding example.

You may want / need to use a different field to find the software you're after - there's some "it depends on your software" stuff here. Either way, the detail wouldn't be that much different.

After having created your column set, you then DRAG & DROP the column-set on to your query ... and you'll end up with a result like this:

ColumnSet_QueryResults.jpg

As you see, 2 of my 3 devices do NOT have the software package I was specifying, where as the server VM does have it - and shows it.

That is then something you can just export / save as CSV or "view as report" and that should be that, no?