11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2008 9:01 PM by Tom Farrugia

Newbie Deployment Question

Apprentice

Hi

I am trying to deploy project 2007 for the first time using LANdesk and have  hit a snag.

Usually i would just create a CMD file and reference it to a SMBShare to execute the command. However, I am using a http server for distribution and am ussure how to reference it.

I have created a custom setup file .MSP file for the office distribution. I would assume I should create a CMD file now and reference it, but not sure how to reference the webserver.

basic run is setup.exe /adminfile projectsetup.MSP

ANy Advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

So a couple of things.

1 - For HTTP-shares, do NOT use CMD-files. You can't execute an install from HTTP (let alone a big MSI).

2 - If you're going to put any Microsoft product on an HTTP share, make sure you added ".*" (dot star) as a MIME-type to IIS, or the install will fail (as IIS will try to EXECUTE certain files, rather than allow you to copy them down).

3 - Use the normal LANDesk software distribution mechanisms for HTTP-based installs.

4 - Read the BKM on how to deploy Office - that should give you a lot of pointers in the right direction. You can find that here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2126

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
            ahe Expert

Hi,

take a look here: About Batch File Distribution Packages

Regards

Axel

• 3. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
              zman Master

Ryan,

Welcome. You will get a lot of good advice here, and as a Newbie it may seem a little strange becuase sometimes the advice is to do it several different ways. Unlike other tools LANDesk gives you many differnt options to complete a task, and this can seem confusing at first. all the solutions offer will most likely work, you just need to find the best one for your shop. Unfortunately that will involve some trial and error. 

So my opinion on MSI installs.

• I prefer to use UNC paths if possible. Just had better luck with uncs over http.  Use DFS if you have it.

• Setup Preferred Server if you have not.

• I would use Use run from source to deploy files on your deliver method. This depends on how many clients you are going to deploy to and your network infrastructure. 

• I would create a MSI distribution package - no wrappers (batch files, or exes)

• Always create a verbose MSI log

• I'm not going to go into using /admin,MSPs, ORCA, etc.. this information can be accessed at appdeploy.

Again, there are several ways to do this, but I've found this to be the easiest to do in my shop.

• 4. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                Apprentice

Hi All

I am still not having much luck with this. I have tried, UNC's, I have tried http etc.

If i just just from the client the UNC share file://unc/swdpkgs/project2007/setup.exe /adminfile file://unc/swdpkgs/project2007/installation.MSP  it works great.

When I run from the client, using a EXE package, UNC, add all the files except setup.exe in my Scheduled Tasks the machine just sit in a active state, with a status Active, and Result of Not Specified for ever (literally). Is there a log i can look at to find what is (or is not happening). This is really frustrating because I have rolled out office2007 many time with other deployment suites without a problem, it is not hard to do :(

Thanks in Advance.

• 5. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                  Joshni SupportEmployee

There will be a scheduledTaskhandlerlog in program files\landesk\managementsuite\log directory on the core.  If you sort them by date it should help you to determine what log file to look at.

make sure you have added setup.exe as your main file in the package and then add all of your other files as additional files. Make sure you include your .msp file as well.

Josh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                    Apprentice

So if I add the .MSP as an additional file, how do i reference it? What I mean is, what is its root? is it still http://SERVER/package/control.MSP? or is it now just control.MSP?

Is there a way to increase the level of information logged in those log files?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                      Jason SupportEmployee

in your distribution package click on Install/Uninstall options and add ‘/adminfile <Path-to-MSP-File.msp>’

If the file is in the root directory with all other install file(s) not one or more directories below the install file(s) you can leave the path off if desired.

If after adding this line to your dist. package and it is still failing it would be helpful if you attached your log file so we can see exactly where it is failing.

• 8. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                        Apprentice

Okay well I am a little further forwards.

Thanks Jason for the info on just refering to the name without a UNC or HTTP path. that worked well, however, If I used a standard push the install starts, the client pulls down all 214 files, but then fails with a message 'Failed to download all additional files for a package'. Which is odd as I watched them download.

Log file is attached.

So theni decided i would change the download to a UNC, emergency push. This is happening, sort of. In LDMS the status is Active, Rsult - Not specified. When i check the logfile I am getting

8/10/2008 10:15:50 AM : loading distribution task (54) for global scheduler client.
                        8/10/2008 10:15:50 AM : performing hash calculations on package : Project 2007 UNC
                        8/10/2008 10:15:50 AM : Calculating hash for \\wrench\swdpkgs\Project2007\Admin\zh-cn\office12.opa
                        8/10/2008 10:16:44 AM : Calculating hash for \\wrench\swdpkgs\Project2007\Admin\zh-cn\onent12.opa
                        8/10/2008 10:17:37 AM : Calculating hash for \\wrench\swdpkgs\Project2007\Admin\zh-cn\outlk12.opa
                        8/10/2008 10:18:29 AM : Calculating hash for \\wrench\swdpkgs\Project2007\Admin\zh-cn\ppt12.opa
                        8/10/2008 10:19:22 AM : Calculating hash for \\wrench\swdpkgs\Project2007\Admin\zh-cn\proj12.opa

And it is rehashing all the 214 files? Which, at 1 file a minute is going to be very slow! Is this correct? Should it be doing this? Just seems weid to me.

Thanks for everyone input. Hopefully other Newbies will get something from this thread aswell.

• 9. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                          Joshni SupportEmployee

Anytime you have to make changes to your package you will have to generate a new hash.  It will write a unique hash for each file included in the package.  This process can be very slow depending on the number of files in your package, connection to the database, and database utilization.  Once this process is done then you should not need to rehash the package again unless you make changes to the package. 1 file a minute is slow..... but we have seen worse.

Once the hashing is done, the deployment of the package should start.  Did your package install ok after it was done with the hashing process?

Josh

• 10. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                            Apprentice

Thanks Josh

Yes the package was successful once the hashing is done. I just didnt realise it was doing this in he background and not saying something in the console.

Overall, it is a success. However, I still have a couple of questions if anybody would like to answer them.

I can not install via http on any package. (even if it is a 1 file inclusion package) I get a error, 'Failed to download all additional files for a package' . I have adjusted the MIME settings, any other ideas?

Secondly. I have another scheduled package that i have created, the Main part is a MSI install, this installs fine. The Final package is CMD (it a simple copy from, and paste to local c:\ directory). If I run these in the same scheduled task, the final package fails. If i creat 2 different packages, the install is successful. Is there some trick to this?

Thanks

Ryan

• 11. Re: Newbie Deployment Question
                              Tom Farrugia SupportEmployee

Are you sure the web directory you are storing you packages in is set for anonymous access?  Check the settings for this web directory in the IIS Manager.

Regarding the 2 package issue, does it really fail or just report as failed?  Look at a machine thats states it failed and see if the files did copy.  It may be we need to change a result code to one LANDesk will report as success.