4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2016 1:31 AM by TomWhi

PowerShell cmdlets Installation

TomWhi Rookie

Hi,

I am new to the AppSense products so forgive me if I use any wrong terms.

I have an installation of EM 8.6, AM 8.9 and MC 8.7 in our environment. I would like to be able to PowerShell query stuff out (anything about computers, their deployment group memberships etc.) and move computers between deployment groups.

The problem I have is that I cannot find the PS cmdlet's installed on any of the servers, when I run the command Get-Module -Name AppSense* | Format-List it doesn't output anything - making me wonder if they are not installed.

Please can anyone help me understand if they are installed by default; and if so where they are located or what command I can use to import them.

TomWhi

• 1. Re: PowerShell cmdlets Installation
          Roger1 Apprentice

Check out this blog from Matt Walsh for some Management Center stuff - It might help answer your questions.  The module import requires that the Management Center Console be installed. I actually run the PowerShell commands from my PC rather than the server.  On a side note, I found I needed to have PowerShell 3.0 installed on the server to use the server specific modules included with AppSense (for example: to setup a failover partner for AMC).  The  API guides have a lot of information but are pretty cryptic for the less experienced (me).  However, Matt's blog is very easy to follow. 

Blog post:

AppSense Management Server Web Services API Overview | AppSense Blog

A forum post I participated in that helped me find out how to move items: 

AppSense Management Server API

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PowerShell cmdlets Installation
            TomWhi Rookie

Thanks for the fast response roger! Both of those links are really helpful and the tip about PSv3.

I'll have to have a test run at Matt's blog to see if I can do a similar thing but it seems logical if not a little cumbersome after doing so much powershell stuff in the past. Hopefully they make some more cmdlets for day-to-day tasks to avoid having to call the API via web services

Cheers

Tom

• 3. Re: PowerShell cmdlets Installation
              Roger1 Apprentice

Thanks Tom.  Here's my script for moving computers listed in a computers.txt file if you're interested - This is stuff I grabbed from Matt's blog and through trial and error.  Please make sure to test it first as I am no PowerShell guru. 

#Assigns all endpoints in the computers.txt to group $dgDestination

function AssignMachines

{

$function = "AssignMachines"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Magenta "#########################"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Magenta "##  Assign Machine to  ##"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Magenta "##   Deployment Group  ##"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Magenta "#########################"

$arrDepGroupKey = $GroupsWebService.GetDeploymentGroupsLight().Groups | select GroupKey

$arrDepName = $GroupsWebService.GetDeploymentGroupsLight().Groups | select Name

$arrDepName.Name

foreach ($epTarget in $epTargets) {

#####Change to Target Deployment Group#####

$dgDestination = "DeploymentGroup"

$dgDestinationKey = $GroupsWebService.GetDeploymentGroupsLight().Groups | where-object {$_.Name -eq $dgDestination} | select GroupKey

#Computer Name

#$epTarget = $computer

$epTargetKey =  $MachinesWebService.FindMachines('%').Machines | where-object {$_.NetBiosName -eq $epTarget} | select MachineKey

$dgSource = $MachinesWebService.FindMachines('%').Machines | where-object {$_.NetBiosName -eq $epTarget} | select GroupName

$dgSourceKey = $MachinesWebService.FindMachines('%').Machines | where-object {$_.NetBiosName -eq $epTarget} | select GroupKey

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "Machine is in the " $dgSource.GroupName "Group"

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "Moving $epTarget to $dgDestination"

$MachinesWebService.Move($dgSourceKey.GroupKey, $dgDestinationKey.GroupKey, $epTargetKey.MachineKey)

Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "Operation Complete, Machine is now part of ..."

$MachinesWebService.FindMachines('%').Machines | where-object {$_.NetBiosName -eq $epTarget} | select -property @{N='Deployment Group';E={$_.GroupName}}

}

}

##----AppSense API module load and variable assignment----#

Add-Type -Path "${Env:ProgramFiles}\AppSense\Management Center\Console\ManagementConsole.WebServices.dll"

#####Change to correct Managment Server#####

$url = "http://SERVER/ManagementServer"

$credentials = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultCredentials

$credential = $credentials.GetCredential($url, "Basic")

[ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Connect($url, $credential)

$DiscoveredMachinesWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]:: DiscoveredMachines

$MachinesWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]:: Machines

$withSummary = $true

$MachinesDataSet = $MachinesWebService.GetMachines($withSummary)

$Machines = $MachinesDataSet.Machines

$AlertsWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Alerts

$ConditionsWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Conditions

$ConnectedURL = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::ConnectedUrl

$DatabaseWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Database

$DeploymentWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Deployment

$EventsWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Events

$GroupsWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Groups

$LicensesWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Licenses

$PackagesWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Packages

$ProductsWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Products

$ReportsWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Reports

$SecurityWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Security

$ServersWebService = [ManagementConsole.WebServices]::Servers

##----End module load----

####Change folder where computers.txt file lives####

$epTargets = cat C:\TEMP\computers.txt

AssignMachines

• 4. Re: PowerShell cmdlets Installation
                TomWhi Rookie

Fabulous, thank you. I'll be sure to read through it thoroughly before I even think of executing it anywhere