1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 3:15 PM by dhandy

New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?

Rookie

Hello,

I am having trouble triggering the install of all required policies in 8.8. As some background to the way I use policies this is how we build PCs:

1. Someone loads a new PC into Win PE and selects a script that uses an inventory scan to select drivers, partition etc (hardware independant imaging).

2. When the PC loads into windows (and its name has been inputted) a series of build scripts install standard software and set environment variables based on the name that label what the PC will be used for.

3. Policy based delivery installers the remaining software through queries based on the environment variables set.

From reading these forums I beleive that I can trigger all the required policies by using policy.sync.exe and policy.client.invoker.exe. I have found that this doesn't work however, it will not install all required policies.

I raised a call with LANDesk support and after a couple of telephone conversations was told:

"Hello Craig,

That has changed in the 8.8 release for to avoid overload on the core server.

You can use provisioning without the boot menu."
        Followed by some instructions about creating a provisioning template.

At the moment I am letting time finish installing all of our software, this is slowing down the build of new PCs considerably however. We are currently undergoing a considerable retail expansion and are building many new PCs.

I am loathe to maintain a large set of provisioning templates (we would need over 20) especially as this would mean getting rid of the one script fits all process.

Has anyone else found a way to trigger the install of all required policies? Or failing that is there a way to trigger the install of a provisioning template from a client based on a query?

Thanks,

Message was edited by: CraigRigby -  made a point clearer

• 1. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
          Apprentice

i got this script when i asked the same question.

it's not perfect but it speeds things up most of the time :-)

del "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\landesk\managementsuite\database" /q
          "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\clientdbutil.exe" /validate
          "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.sync.exe"
          "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\policy.client.invoker.exe"

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
            zman Master

Interesting, I will test required policy deployment when I get into the office. So they said it has changed from amclient? My understanding of amclient was it went through all required policies and processed alphabetically sequentially.  Did they elaborate on how this has changed in 8.8?   So if this is a newly imaged machine, and depending on how you have your scheduler set (1 hour, 30 minutes), the amount of policies schedqry has to go through, I don't believe that required policies would be available right after the client is installed on the computer.   So if the machine is resolved as a target on all your required policies and it is not working, then I would say that is an issue - not a change in 8.8. Needless to say there is some confusion on what all the new bits do in 8.8 and this has been raised in several posts. I think policy.client.invoker.exe is responsible for kicking off the stuff and sync just looks for new jobs. I guess your question, and many other is "How does policy.client.invoker.exe work and can I force policies to run without whacking the local DB?"

"Or failing that is there a way to trigger the install of a provisioning template from a client based on a query?"  Well you can schedule a provisioning template just like any other scheduled task. Targets can be machine/query or ldap and you have access to all delivery methods. 

You can also look at Vulscan - custom vulnerabilities - to do the installs. This may be a little  cluggy.

• 3. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
              Rookie

Thanks for the responces.

ZMAN: Well you can schedule a provisioning template just like any other scheduled task. Targets can be machine/query or ldap and you have access to all delivery methods.

Yes, unfortuantely I havent found a way to trigger a provisioning template with only post OS installation tasks from a client PC. I played with provisioing for a while when it came out and found this then. It works okay as a push but this doesnt suit me, it basically leads to the same problem I have now.

ZMAN: So if the machine is resolved as a target on all your required policies and it is not working, then I would say that is an issue - not a change in 8.8

This is exactly what is happening. I wrote a bit of script in the build that places a file on the landesk server when a new PC needs putting into all the policies. I have a windows sheduled task on the LANDesk server that checks every ten minutes for this file and if it exists kicks off a query evaluation. This means that if many PCs are being built the db is working hard once every ten minutes but it has always worked okay in the past.

• 4. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                zman Master

So your script just kicks of schedqry correct?  Should work. I guess unless you get a clear picture of how invoker works with required policies you are SOL. 

• 5. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                  Rookie

SOL - I had to look that up, haha

I don't know if this is the place to rant but I am not sure why they would make this change to policies. The change of AM client I don't care about. The lack of client based feedback on policies is very irritiating. Removing the easy way of triggering required policy downloads is a real deal breaker!

I think the thing that annoys me most is when I was reading about 8.8 to decide if I was going to upgrade the documentation seemed to suggest no loss of functionality beyond the lack of user feedback.

I am not impressed with the lack of documentation to do with the new policy based delivery. I only wish I had imaged a lot more PCs when testing 8.8 so that this problem was more evident.  Curse my testing!!!!

This is such a big problem for me - none of the temps we have can tell when a build is finished - that I am seriously considering some kind of wipeout and reinstall on to 8.7.

• 6. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                    zman Master

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/4728#4728

Actually not really a rant, most of my posts are rants if you want to compare    One of the biggest issue I see with the realease of new LANDesk functions, is they are not documented well. I can see all the people who prepare documentation at LANDesk throwing something at me, but this is not my intnent. Yes documentation exists on how to get from point A->B, however, there is very little admin type documentation on how the bits work, changes that will affect us, etc... (well maybe ESPs get this and LANDesk support) See the above post and still nothing. Yes there is a troubleshooting policies and launchpad but that does not really cover the changes and the what the bits do. Maybe if we had those items then the troubleshooting would that much easier.  Understanding and knowledge of what an item's function and how it works is essential for troubleshooting. A rant would be yelling and screaming about adding new LANDesk functionality in a service pack when it was stated it would not happen.

• 7. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                      Tracy Expert

I'll see if Ty or myself can dig up the info on all the exe's but for now, all you need is policy.sync which actually queries the core for scheduled tasks ans populates the local client database. After that the Invoker service (make sure it is installed and started) will query the local database every 5-10 seconds and execute any work that needs to be done. You don't need to run the invoker manually.

-Tracy

• 8. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                        zman Master

Tracy,

Thanks, this is exactly the type of information we need, at least I do!!!!! It may seem to be simple information, but knowing how often the invoker service queries the local DB is good stuff and the first I've seen it posted. 

• 9. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                          Apprentice

Hello,

I've made a freeware tools, that may help about policy installation.

Look for "Policy Client Viewer", here : http://www.firemelons.com

Let me know if this is useful.

• 10. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                            zman Master

Cool. I was going to write this myself, and now I may not have to I would post this in the tips and tricks and Dropped Packets. My thoughts for this was more of a local/remote troubleshooting tools. Not just view but the ability to reset the status of the tasks (e.g., hung jobs that are stuck in processing, etc...) I still may do it as a part of a technical challenge. One thing you may consider is the release of the VB source, so other can help with the project.

Good stuff.

• 11. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                              phoffmann SupportEmployee

... or even potentially do it / run it as an "open source" project on droppedpackets?

(offering ideas) .

One thing to note, is that the "script provided" *does* wipe out the client-side database of policies as well, so we will re-install EVERYTHING, which can be a problem if there's an app that reacts allergically to being re-installed. So - be careful on how to use this please .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 12. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                                Apprentice

At this time, I would prefer to release it as a freeware. But not nesseceraly in open-source

Zman > You can reset the "local" status of a policy task. That will reinstall the package even if the status is Completed on the CoreServer.

Paul Hoffmann > This program does not wipe out the local database. It update (not even delete) few values on each tasks that you selected before clic on "Reinstall".

Hope this can help you.

It would be great if people can provide me some feedback about the use of this tool.

You can add this tool on your website, but please add a link to the download page (or the article) of my website. Thanks

• 13. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - LANDesk doesn't usually link to 3rd party products from its own site, so I doubt that'll happen. Hence why I suggested dropped packets. You may definately want to add it as a tool there, so it has more visibility and/or throw it into a KB article in the "Tips and Tricks" section, since this is "everyone can add content" place after all .

(The usual matter applies that we can't control 3rd party sites, etc. etc.)

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 14. Re: New 8.8 Policy Delivery - How to I trigger the install of all required policies?
                                    Apprentice

In "Your website" i would mean: droppedpackets.

(what really is droppedpackets by the way ? A "community-fan-website" ?)

I'll go read information about the "Tips and Tricks" section.

1 2 Previous Next