3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2016 9:05 AM by phoffmann

Software won't install on Windows 10 if not logged in

MrGadget Expert

I'm running Landesk 9.6 SP3

When trying to install a package that consists of a batch file that calls up a setup.exe from the core server package folder I get the following error in the sdclient_taskxxxxx.txt file: Tue, 13 Dec 2016 15:31:44 LaunchAsSpecifiedUser: no user loged on, set hide to true.

It never imnstalls, if I am logged in to the computer it will install. I've run it under the System account and tried a domain admin but neither works. Is this a bug in Landesk for Windows 10?

• 1. Re: Software won't install on Windows 10 if not logged in
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

So a couple of things here - first up, some general information:

... does the task start on the client? Have you looked at the logs (remember - batch files also log to separate logs, so I'll walk you through that stuff here).

... I've hooked up a Win-10 client to my 9.6 SP3 Core and created a simple batch file that I would be able to run against the Win-10 box once no one was logged on

Here's the simple batch-file I created:

echo Hello - I am %username% >> C:\Zz_User-log.txt

I also enabled debug-logging on the client (as a precaution) as per the article I linked above.

I made sure the Win-10 box was at login screen & started the task.

Here's what happened (and the logs to check).

1 - SERVICEHOST.LOG (I wouldn't expect any problems here) - in "C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Log\"

... this is to ensure that the Core has in fact reached the client & sent it the command to execute the policy.

2 - The PolicySync log - in "C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Log\" - (guessing that's OK?)

If you run into problems / see any kind of errors here, check out also - Error: "Signature Verification Failed" from PolicySync.exe - especially my comments at the end.

3 - The SDCLIENT-log - in "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\"

This will have environmental information in it for the main part related to the soft dist task.

4 - the actual SDCLIENT_TASK### log - in "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\"

this it specific to running the log, and some additional verbose / xtrace logging may be enlightening here potentially. As a reference, my (successful) lines executing the batch look like so:

VRBOSE Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:02 batchfilehandler.cpp(133) Launch batch file, wrapper contents : call "UserName.bat"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdistbat.exe" /setbatchstatus=%errorlevel%

VRBOSE Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:02 sdistbat_api.h(80) Running sdistbat (as user 0), command line '"C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdistbat.exe"'

VRBOSE Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:02 ProcessLaunch.cpp(1212) PostLaunch: input=<params><UseWow64FsRedirection>false</UseWow64FsRedirection><action>RunBatchFile</action><batch>C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\\sdclient_temp.bat</batch><curdir>C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldlogon\Xx</curdir><log>C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\data\sd_E7D2.tmp</log><timeout>-1</timeout></params>

LOG    Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:05 sdistbat_api.h(92)

LOG    Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:05 batchfilehandler.cpp(196) Bat file output :

--NOTE - here we see the batch file being called & what each line actually ends up running.

C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldlogon\Xx>call "UserName.bat" 

C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldlogon\Xx>echo Hello - I am KAYOLINGAZ$  1>>C:\Zz_User-log.txt

C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldlogon\Xx>"C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdistbat.exe" /setbatchstatus=0

LOG    Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:05 sdclient.cpp(3057) Installation result DB50000

VRBOSE Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:05 sdclient.cpp(2060) Clearing the active task id

LOG    Thu, 15 Dec 2016 13:38:05 sdclient.cpp(2070) processing of package is complete, result 229965824 (0x0db50000 - code 0)

... let's see if that'll help you? Running batch files with Win 10 without user being logged in isn't an issue though.

If in doubt btw with such "general" things, always revert to a "simple test" in concept (i.e. "add entry to log file" type stuff) and check that. Possible there's a problem with that SETUP.EXE thing you're calling perhaps (which would be separate logs, specific to your installer).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Software won't install on Windows 10 if not logged in
            MrGadget Expert

I meant to close this yesterday. I opened a case on this and troubleshot with Landesk Tech Support.

What we found was in windows 10 you have to download all files to the Win10 computer and execute them locally. It would not work executing anything from a remote share. My Software distribution downloads the batch file to the Win 10 computer but executes files located on a remote share and fails. That is the way we have done it with XP and Win 7 but Win 10 does not like it.

• 3. Re: Software won't install on Windows 10 if not logged in
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Right - gotcha. Yes, I seem to recall that Server 2012 also shares some of that shenanigans ...

Ah well - at least you've got it figured out now. Hope the above will be useful for education & such .