3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 7:38 PM by zman

How does the Query Window pole devices?

Binskin Apprentice

I ask this because im getting some interesting results from my query window ...

I have a basic query, device / os / last scan or repair date / serial number, so i can sort by last repair date and weed out the devices we no longer have (returned lease machines etc) and resolving why current devices dont report in by comparing to our asset register. A number of these machines from the query window are coming up as being online / remote controllable etc, but they dont actually exist on the network.

Does the query window simply pole the last logged IP for the device and if it gets a response from an agent lists it as online, but doesnt actually confirm the device in the query list matches the poled IP addresses agent? (if that makes sense)

Cheers - Ben

• 1. Re: How does the Query Window pole devices?
          zman Master

Ben,

Sounds like the machines IP adress has been re-assigned to another device, or you may have a DNS./name resolution issue. So machine1 used to have an ip of 10.132.22.22, it has been off the network for sometime and its ip has been reassigned to machine2  machine1 is in the query, however during discovery it sees the ip of  10.132.22.22 as alive. etc... This all controlled by the discovery option Configure | Agent Discovery Options.

Discovery methods: Indicates how the agent is discovered.
          IP address: Uses the core database to retrieve the computer's stored IP address.
          Domain Name Service (DNS): Resolves the computer's ID name with the DNS server when verifying the remote control agent. If you do not have a DNS server, clear this option.

Default is IP then DNS.  Clear as mud    

• 2. Re: How does the Query Window pole devices?
            Binskin Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, i get what your saying with DNS etc, and it makes sense that machines have picked up other machines addresses, i just wasn't sure how from the console window the agents were contacted to determine if they were up or not ... does it simply pole the device using the device name (resolving using dns obviously) or does it use the last logged IP address for the device within the console itself?

Ive tried pinging the devices from the core and my own machine (console) and neither come back, so im assuming it must use the last logged address (last known address in the database)

Cheers - Ben

• 3. Re: How does the Query Window pole devices?
              zman Master

If you have not changed the discover options then it uses  the core database to retrieve the computer's stored IP address. So it is grabbing the ip address from the DB record of the computer.