4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2017 10:24 PM by sameerkp

how to show user notification on clients

sameerkp Rookie

i want to display user notification or Alert on the client desktop. is there any way for this.

• 1. Re: how to show user notification on clients
          Jon Miller Apprentice

sameerkp -

Depends on what you are trying to use this for- We have a real simple PS script that prompts for the client pc name and then for the message. In order for this to work you need to be an administrator on that pc and run the PS script in an administrative powershell session. You also need to have wmi enabled and running on both machines. This script does one computer at a time but can easily be modified to work with a list of computers.

$name = read-host "Enter computer name "

$msg = read-host "Enter your message "

Invoke-WmiMethod -Path Win32_Process -Name Create -ArgumentList "msg * $msg" -ComputerName $name

You could probably incorporate it into the Console Extender if you have Data Analytics.... Now that I'm thinking about it, I might attempt it haha! I'm by no means a powershell guru, I just know enough to make the things happen that I need to get done.

• 2. Re: how to show user notification on clients
            sameerkp Rookie

Thanks Jonmill1234 for you response, Actually I want to push html or other format notification to a group of computers in the domain . Eg. maintenance alerts or notification. I saw hta method but its very complicated. I was looking for something which very easy to change and schedule.

• 3. Re: how to show user notification on clients
              Jon Miller Apprentice

I also just remembered that in LDMS 2016 there is a Windows Action in the Distribution Packages that you can add a pop up window action. Not sure if this works for you or not.... it is easier to update/change but don't forget to reset the hash on the package if you do change it. See the screen shots and let me know if this works for you. I have used the hta method before and like you said, it isn't the easiest thing in the world

Popup Window1.png

Popup Window2.png

I don't believe that the powershell window can be hidden via this method, at least that I know of. One more thing to keep in mind, the task will show installing until the message is dismissed then it will show done.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: how to show user notification on clients
                sameerkp Rookie

Thank you. it was really informative.