9 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2017 12:18 PM by frederickk

CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2

frederickk Apprentice

The landesk core server is Windows 2012R2 and running LDMS 9.6 SP1

I have cloned the landesk 9.6 SP1 core server, to test the process for updating to 9.6 SP2. I also have cloned our Active directory and database servers so that the test environment is not doing anything crazy in the production environment.

The first error that I get is a timeout error when it gets to “execute command: coredbutil.exe”

TimeoutError.png

It appears behind the update window and makes it appear to be hung on this process. I am not sure exactly what causes this error it could be that it does not see the database server in the test environment

I have a sample of the errors that I saw in the setup log file.

ErrorSnippets.png

After a number of crashes from the coredbutil.exe process, it appears to try to move forward but I still encounter other errors that appear to deal with provisioning.

prov_loaddb.png

prov_installplugin.png

I click on close the program and it appears to move forward, but eventually gives the final screen that LANDESK setup encountered an error. It also shows some of the errors in a small window. t

UpdateFailed.png

I am trying to get a little more insight as to why this is occurring and pointed in the right direction to fix it in test before i attempt this in production.

• 1. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
          masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi
          Frederick,

did you
          try to login to the console on your cloned core server before you start the upgrade? As you already wrote in your post, it seems there is no connect to the database server. I would verify this first, if the connection fails, the upgrade has to fail too.

Regards

Christian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
            frederickk Apprentice

i did not log into the console on the cloned core server before starting the upgrade. it was during the error checks and other stuff that i realized that i cloned the wrong database server. i am going to probably just dump this first cloned version of the landesk server and make a new clone and ensure that i have the correct database server cloned and test the connections before starting the upgrade. i cannot log into the console now because of the failed upgrade.

thank you for your insight.

• 3. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

... so this amounts to a "whoops - wrong system" issue, in the end?

(Just trying to get a feel for whether this can be marked as resolved, or whether you still need help here)

• 4. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
                frederickk Apprentice

i am hoping that will be the case. other fires have prevented me from re-cloning the LDMS server to continue testing.

i did get the chance to clone the correct database server, but again, the upgrade process failed and prevented me from opening the console. i will give that a couple more tries before completely dumping my first LDMS clone.

• 5. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
                  frederickk Apprentice

we got a new storage array and the original LDMS 9.6 server was migrated over to it. i tried to create a new clone for testing but that ended in failure. the cloned server did not allow me to start the management console at all. the core activation utility crashed and i was unable to get anything working. shortly after that, the original server started to have hiccups. i am currently getting invalid license errors. so there are multiple issues going on.

• 6. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
                    masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Frederick,

could it be that someone installs .NET 4.6 on your core? This could cause the activation Utility to Crash and cancause other strange behabviours.You can check the version here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full

If there is 4.6 installed, you should follow this link to remove it frome the core:

Issue: Unexpected Behavior On Core with .NET 4.6

Hope it helps.

Kind regards

Christian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
                      frederickk Apprentice

Thank you for your input. the links had all the details i needed to get my core server back up and running.

i just realized that my test landesk server and my test database server are both in the test network, but they both had incorrect IP Addresses based on other computers in that test network. once again, i have to go to the drawing board on the test server. but i am at least in the right direction. thanks. i will post results when i get moving.

• 8. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
                        phoffmann SupportEmployee

We'll get you to where you need to be eventually .

• 9. Re: CoreDButil.exe crash when updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2
                          frederickk Apprentice

i decided to throw away my cautious behavior and run the updates on the live system. i had the SYSAdmin back up the LDMS server and the database server before starting. the SP2 update continuously crashed, telling me there were files in use. none of that made any sense to me so i decided to get rid of caution once again. i saw that the update folder had numbered folders within it. i went through the folders one at a time and rebooted in between. once i made it to the end of the line, LDMS 9.6 SP2 was online.

a week later i decided to get another backup and try my luck at SP3. i feel like i got lucky and had success on both service packs updating. i have begun the process of rebuilding my landesk installer agents. i will setup a scheduled task to tell other agents to update to what the server currently has. now my windows 10 devices can be protected as well.