1 of 1 people found this helpful
try to login to the console on your cloned core server before you start the upgrade? As you already wrote in your post, it seems there is no connect to the database server. I would verify this first, if the connection fails, the upgrade has to fail too.
i did not log into the console on the cloned core server before starting the upgrade. it was during the error checks and other stuff that i realized that i cloned the wrong database server. i am going to probably just dump this first cloned version of the landesk server and make a new clone and ensure that i have the correct database server cloned and test the connections before starting the upgrade. i cannot log into the console now because of the failed upgrade.
thank you for your insight.
... so this amounts to a "whoops - wrong system" issue, in the end?
(Just trying to get a feel for whether this can be marked as resolved, or whether you still need help here)
i am hoping that will be the case. other fires have prevented me from re-cloning the LDMS server to continue testing.
i did get the chance to clone the correct database server, but again, the upgrade process failed and prevented me from opening the console. i will give that a couple more tries before completely dumping my first LDMS clone.
we got a new storage array and the original LDMS 9.6 server was migrated over to it. i tried to create a new clone for testing but that ended in failure. the cloned server did not allow me to start the management console at all. the core activation utility crashed and i was unable to get anything working. shortly after that, the original server started to have hiccups. i am currently getting invalid license errors. so there are multiple issues going on.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
could it be that someone installs .NET 4.6 on your core? This could cause the activation Utility to Crash and cancause other strange behabviours.You can check the version here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full
If there is 4.6 installed, you should follow this link to remove it frome the core:
Hope it helps.
Thank you for your input. the links had all the details i needed to get my core server back up and running.
i just realized that my test landesk server and my test database server are both in the test network, but they both had incorrect IP Addresses based on other computers in that test network. once again, i have to go to the drawing board on the test server. but i am at least in the right direction. thanks. i will post results when i get moving.
We'll get you to where you need to be eventually .
i decided to throw away my cautious behavior and run the updates on the live system. i had the SYSAdmin back up the LDMS server and the database server before starting. the SP2 update continuously crashed, telling me there were files in use. none of that made any sense to me so i decided to get rid of caution once again. i saw that the update folder had numbered folders within it. i went through the folders one at a time and rebooted in between. once i made it to the end of the line, LDMS 9.6 SP2 was online.
a week later i decided to get another backup and try my luck at SP3. i feel like i got lucky and had success on both service packs updating. i have begun the process of rebuilding my landesk installer agents. i will setup a scheduled task to tell other agents to update to what the server currently has. now my windows 10 devices can be protected as well.