3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 3:08 AM by phoffmann

Prompt user to close application

Senticall Rookie

Hi,

I need to deploy some software which requires to close outlook and IE before installation. Is there any way to prompt user to close both apps?

• 1. Re: Prompt user to close application
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

... you could do it as a policy thing, potentially.

And/Or you could do a bundle (where a simple script is the first package that pops a message to your user & checks for the processes to be dead / kills them off itself), for instance.

For scenarios like yours though, I tend to use custom vulnerabilities -- that way you can enable GUI feedback (remember to use the branding to make it look like "your local IT team", most end-users won't have the first idea "who this LANDesk fella is") and either give folks an option to kill stuff off, *OR* (and this is what I prefer doing) using Vulscan with a pre-script to kill off browsers & Outlook (and prevent them from being re-started).

This requires (/would suggest) some up-front comms that "this will happen on day X at time Y" (ideally, outside of regular work hours) and state that any "left open" windows will be killed off. That way users are forewarned (not that this won't help ensure that people actually READ / FOLLOW your instruction) ... .

Hope that little idea helps .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Prompt user to close application
            Senticall Rookie

phoffman,

Thank you for your reply. I think creating a bundle is the best option for me.

Regards

• 3. Re: Prompt user to close application
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Happy to help!