5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2017 11:18 AM by mmartinvegue

How do I get Asset Location to autopopulate

mmartinvegue Apprentice

Under Configuration Management I have Asset Location.  I have added Asset Management as a Window in Workspaces but the dropdown is empty with only "Clear Selection".  How do I populate Asset Location dropdown?

• 1. Re: How do I get Asset Location to autopopulate
          rs090 Apprentice

Did you load all your locations to the asset location object under configuration management?   I'm unclear what you are trying to do, can you explain further?

We loaded ours under Systems / Location is object designer.   When we created new configuration items were we wanted a location to show up, such as configuration item workstation, in object designed we created a relationship between location and workstation, now those locations are available on the workstation screen. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I get Asset Location to autopopulate
            mmartinvegue Apprentice

I have an LDMS attribute for location. I created a Data Import Mapping that maps the LDMS Computer.Location attribute to Configuration Management --> Workstations --> Asset Location. I have all my workstations in Configuration Management --> Workstations. Do I have the right idea here?

• 3. Re: How do I get Asset Location to autopopulate
              mmartinvegue Apprentice

I will try using System -- location. I will let you know how that goes.  thanks!

• 4. Re: How do I get Asset Location to autopopulate
                rs090 Apprentice

If I'm understanding correctly, what you may need to do is drag the object where you are storing your location on to your workstation folder through object designer, choose no when prompted to create a collection.   Currently the "Asset Location" is a relationship to the workstation, but unless you have all your locations loaded under Asset Location I would expect the drop down to be empty.  

Would have to test but I would think you could also relate your locations object to the Asset Location object, then just change the window on your workstation or other configuration item to use the location relationship field you just created instead of the actual Asset Location object.

Here's is how we have ours setup. 

- As mentioned above, we store our locations in system / locations.

- In object designer we dragged the system / locations folder on to the configuration item / workstation folder to create the relationship below between a workstation and location.  We also did this for System/User to associate a user to a workstation.

- In Window Designer we then added the top level Location field to our workstation window, this allows the field "Location" to show up on the workstation screen where the user can select from a list of locations.   Or during our asset import, we manually push the location value when importing the data to the workstation table. 

- You could add as many fields about the location as needed once you create the relationship to your location object or you could enable the hyperlink option in the properties so users could click the label to get more info on the location.  We only added the top level Location object on ours. 

Hope this is helpful

• 5. Re: How do I get Asset Location to autopopulate
                  mmartinvegue Apprentice

Thanks! That was very helpful. I will give that try.