As a novice LDSD admin, I need guidance on where I can start troubleshooting this issue. We have published products in our Service Catalog for users to request. When you select the "Add to Cart" on the item, you are prompt with the Error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
I have restarted the Application Pool and Applications in the Configuration Center. I have restarted the web server also that is having this issue.
Important FACT: When doing this same process directly from the Application, bypassing the Web Server, I don't get this error. So somehow it is related to doing this process via the Web Server.