5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2017 11:16 AM by TFBA

Management suite upgrade to 2016.3 fails at Starting Mobility service

Rookie

Hi

I was upgrading one of our core servers from 9.6 SP2 to 2016.3. First I installed version 2016, that went well. Now installing 2016.3 installation fails at Starting Mobility service.

Core server is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard and database is MS SQL Server 2008.

Landesk installation log file says:

2017-01-17 12:01:16 INFO: Executing command AtlasStartService  (SetupController.ExecuteNextCommand())

2017-01-17 12:01:16 INFO: Executing: D:\LANDESKSoftware2016-3\Resources\LANDesk.Common.RunMethod.exe assemblyFile="LANDesk.Install.Common.Actions.dll" class="Services" Method="StartService" commandLine="MDMManagementService"  (Launcher.ExecuteXmlCommand())

2017-01-17 12:06:16 ERROR: Execution of AtlasStartService completed. Return code: -1, State: Failure  (SetupController.ExecuteNextCommand())

When I try to start service manually it gives me this error message:

service_error.JPG

And to windows event log comes these messages:

Log Name:      Application
      Source:        .NET Runtime
      Date:          17.1.2017 12:26:15
      Event ID:      1026
      Task Category: None
      Level:         Error
      Keywords:      Classic
      User:          N/A

Description:
      Application: MDMManagementService.exe
      Framework Version: v4.0.30319
      Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
      Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException
      Stack:
         at LANDesk.DataServices.DbConnection.Read(System.String)
         at LANDesk.DataServices.DbConnection..ctor(System.String)
         at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.LanDeskDatabase.OpenFromRegistry(System.String)
         at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.LanDeskDatabase.Get()
         at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Database.DBCache. ()
         at MDM.LDMS.Services.MDMRepo.GetAllAppleDepVppTokensByType(System.String)
         at Landesk.MDMServices.Services.AppleDEPService.UpdateAllDevices()
         at LANDESK.MDMManagementService.AppleDEPDeviceService.ThreadRun()
         at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
         at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
         at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
         at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

And:

Source:        Application Error
      Date:          17.1.2017 12:26:15
      Event ID:      1000
      Task Category: (100)

Description:
      Faulting application name: MDMManagementService.exe, version: 10.1.0.58, time stamp: 0x57f50795
      Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23572, time stamp: 0x57fd0696
      Exception code: 0xe0434352
      Fault offset: 0x000000000001a06d
      Faulting process id: 0x18c4
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d270ac2132fb01
      Faulting application path: D:\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\MDMManagementService.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
      Report Id: 5fcc76e5-dc9f-11e6-81d1-005056af0007

Any ideas how I continue installation? I tried to boot server and restart installation, copy MDMManagementService.exe from working core server to this, deleted service and edited setup.xml step back, so it made service again, but service starting fails still.

I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem or that installation is unfinished but LANDesk Scheduler Service gives these errors in event log:

Source:        LANDesk Scheduler Service
      Date:          17.1.2017 12:22:16
      Event ID:      109
      Task Category: None

Description:
      Unable to connect to the database, check to make sure the database is running.

I tested that database server is online and database looks fine, so i don't know why it gives this message. Has the database upgrade gone wrong or something like that? Server where database is located don't give any errors from connections.

Now I am thinking that should i try to make new core server, or try to recover snapshot or just try to fix this problem

What you think what would happen now if i install new core server can it use old database?