3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 10:58 AM by Edink1986

Automatically move devices from one folder to another based on their IP change.

Edink1986 Rookie

HI, we have  1000 Zebra MC 40s.
      We are managing them all in a single folder -- which is a little too much.

I have created 4 site folders ( pre entered their LAT AND LONG and created a enrollment criteria with their ip range).
      I manually moved all the devices to that folder, but I would like to automate the maintenance of that.

The scope of our setup:

We have 4 Different Locations that these devise go between. They are all on the same network but different subnets ( ip-range).
      on Avalanche 6.1

is it possible to set it up so that of a device leaves SITE A and pulls a IP from SITE B that it automatically moves it self to the folder for SITE B.

We use a automated deployment process and it would be great if there was a way to create a rule in the default folder so that if a device has this IP range then the devices goes to this site.

I know I may be asking something that is not possible but if anyone has any ideas of how to make this work -- I would really appreciate it.

Thank you again

• 1. Re: Automatically move devices from one folder to another based on their IP change.
          Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

By default Avalanche 6.x has a feature called Static or "Sticky" folders enabled. This means that when a device connects to the Avalanche server for the very first time it will fall into a certain folder based on what Selection Criteria it matches. From that point forward, the device will remain in that folder even if it no longer matches the governing criteria. The Static folder configuration makes it easier to manually move devices between folders, but it prevents any sort of dynamic moves. So for instance if you have a SITE A folder with IP = SITE A IP RANGE and the device checks into the server for the first time with a SITE A IP, then it will be placed into that folder. Then if you take that device to SITE B and it pulls a SITE B IP, it will actually still remain in the SITE A folder, despite technically failing that Selection Criteria. In order for the devices to be able to dynamically move folders as their properties change you will need to enable Dynamic Folders inside of the Mobile Device Server Profile.

• 2. Re: Automatically move devices from one folder to another based on their IP change.
            Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

I just re-read your question and noticed that you're actually running Android based MC40s which Wavelink considers to be a "Smart" Device and not a traditional "Rugged" device. Unfortunately I don't think the same rules apply to Smart Devices so Dynamic Folders probably won't help your case:

Does dynamic folders work for Android devices?

• 3. Re: Automatically move devices from one folder to another based on their IP change.
              Edink1986 Rookie

Sorry, I was out for a few days.

Yes, we can create smart folders and I did create a folder with the selection criteria for one of the sites with the IP ranges for all devices that will be on that subnet

The desired end goal for us is for the devices to move them selfs from folder to folder as they change physical locations. This would be extremely beneficial for us.

So basically a device checks in with the server.
              The server sees the ip and says "you don't belong to this folder, you belong to this folder"
              the device is moved and any profile changes are made automatically.

This also helps us with troubleshooting -- we can at least narrow the device down, since we cant have custom hostnames with the android units.
              The full serial number is its hostname. which makes it hard to locate