1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2008 3:03 PM by lisasalamida

Need to remove Device Name field

Rookie

Since our computers' device name fields are not dependably accurate (they are filled in by humans afterall), we need to display the system tag that is reported by the BIOS instead of the OS. But, not only can we not remove the Device Name column, we can't even move it to the end position so that we can ignore it more.

What can we tweak to get rid of this useless field?

Examples why it's useless: when we use an image, often the tags remain the imaged tag number, because the tech forgets to check the old tag and enter that in instead, creating duplicate tags. Also, some techs are putting a "d" at the beginning of the tag and others start at the first number in the tag -- so again, not accurate because it's not consistent.

I have also noticed that the BIOS system tag field does not always populate (for about 10 of our 550 machines). Since they are all the same machine type I would expect them to behave the same, but they don't -- any thing I can check to see why?

• 1. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
          Employee

should be able to with a custom column set. Also, use the System area to get machine info, not the BIOS area.

• 2. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
            Rookie

Sorry, maybe my post was not clear.

I am unable to remove that from the custom column set. The options are greyed out -- the option to remove and the option to move.

Also, I am using the BIOS tag specifically because the one under System is not accurate, that is the primary problem. The tag info that is pulled from System is human-alterable, and it is not reliable and often incorrect.

• 3. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

You cannot remove the Device name field in the console as it is a required column.  You can remove it in the results of queries in the web console.

The System field gets information from WMI including serial number.  That should not be alterable.  If you are pulling sytem tag, that is alterable by operators and if you are using Dell can often have been wiped and may be the reason why it is missing.

Sounds more like you have a project to fix the way your engineers are configuring systems rather than trying to work around what sound like process failings.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 4. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                Rookie

Yep, I think you nailed it. As for the why, though, why woud it be a required column? That's just so strange. Landesk seems to cripple so many of its potentially customizable elements. The system is rife with these kinds of limitations (for example, you can't customize the columns in the scheduled task window, you're limited to whatever landesk thinks you need to see). 

We do have Dells -- and when we get an imaged drive, that is the most common time when that Device field is incorrect. Or, we have techs that (for whatever reason) fill in strange information in that field, like putting the user's office location next to the tag (so it becomes NY-D716KB1 or whatever). Sometimes the users themselves replace it, with their name, for example. So the field that Landesk is requiring us to display (and not even letting us move) is incorrect and completely useless. Meanwhile, there is a lovely tag right there in the BIOS that I would like to use instead. For our remote offices, we often have even LESS control over the technicians, because they are contract people from Dell who are setting up the systems. 

Managing machines can (and should) be easier than managing people. For one, I have zero authority over the other techs, all I can do is complain to the big boss about them being sloppy. But that won't force people NOT to be sloppy, ya know? I would rather just gather data that is dependable.

• 5. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Just to be certain; when we talk about the Device Name, we are talking about the name given to the machine at the time the PC is installed yes?  In my opinion your bosses need to get a handle on the techs especially if they are contracted techs from Dell since they are paying for that!

As far as the tag in the BIOS that you are talking about, you are talking about the serial number aren't you?  in most BIOS that have a tag filed, this can be edited by anyone that gets access to the BIOS whereas the serial number (which is usually used to populate the asset tag by default) cannot be changed.  For you to be having innacurate information in the System - Serial Number field doesn't really make sense since it also effectively comes from the BIOS just via WMI.  It is possible that you either have corrupt WMI or an unusual situation where the serial number is blank but the asset tag isn't (that last one I've never seen before).

As far as the flexibility of LANDesk is concerned.  In its defense it is far more flexible in these areas than virtually any other I've seen (and I've seen a lot), although I agree it would be nice if the flexibility extended to other areas too.  The device name is your network's usnique identifier most often (since you can't have two machines with the same name in a domain/directory) but also LANDesk targets by machines.  The console needs a unique item to list against and the device name is a single item on each machine that is most often unique, if it was removed, then unless you replaced it with another item (serial number would be a candidate since there should only be one per machine) then you would have multiiple rows per system in the console (look at what happens if you take device name out of a web console query result.  the console could be unusable pretty fast.  Also, if device name was removed from the list, it would be very difficult to locate machines on the network since you would have to browse the machines to find the ip address or name in order to ping them.

Basically i agree it would be nice on occasion to get rid of the device name in the results of a query but in most cases thats fine and can be overcome in excel after a bit of data manipulation.  Seriously, if you got what you wanted, you'd just end up cursing the innacuracies of system serial number/tags when you saw what happened each time the Dell tech replaced the mother board and forgot to put in the correct asset tag info.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                    Rookie

I really appreciate your answer -- you took a lot of time to respond to me and with a lot of details, thank you! 

What "should" happen and what "will" happen simply will not ever match up. My question isn't so much "what should my company do" but rather "how can I make this software work for me" -- after all, we are paying for this software too :)  I am searching for a way to make landesk work in my environment, I am not looking to change the environment to suit landesk's shortcomings, if that makes sense... I would like to gather data that I need -- not what landesk wants me to see.

>>As far as the tag in the BIOS that you are talking about, you are talking about the serial number aren't you?

For our machines, the number that Landesk pulls up in the  BIOS - Service Tag field is a Dell tag number, for example 675NF1. For the machine I am looking at, it does match the field BIOS - Serial Number.

However,  the information in the mandatory field "Device Name," which appears to come from the root of the inventory list, is NOT correct. And this is what shows up in the device view in landesk, it is not the System - Serial Number field. Someone changed my example PC's Device Name to their own last name. Not useful to me.

>>For you to be having innacurate information in the System - Serial Number field doesn't really make sense

I am not talking about the System - Serial Number field.  That field is correct on my example machine. It is 675NSF1 just like the BIOS. This is NOT the field that shows us in the Device Name column in Landesk. If it was that field, well, I'd be happy.

>>if it was removed, then unless you replaced it with another item.

Yes, we would like to replace it with another item. System - Service Tag or Serial number, or the same from the BIOS, would be perfect. This is what I am trying to figure out how to do.

Or at least get an answer why landesk is pulling this Device field instead of something un-editable.

• 7. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                      Employee

custom vulnerability > vbscript. If WMI System Serial Number != WMI Device Name, run netdom.exe to set the device name and reboot.

That should stop the users from dorking around with the system name right quick.

• 8. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                        Rookie

Maybe this can help clarify some more.

I changed my computer's name to My-Name-Elmo  The proper tag for my computer is 2ZP8KB1. You can see that this tag appears correctly in the inventory data gathered from lots of fields -- Asset Tag, Service Tag, etc. Stuff gathered in inventory from System or from BIOS. That info is nice :) Device Name field, bad.

name.JPG 

• 9. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                          Rookie

I know (or at least I think!) this is a joke, but if I reboot users, I will be fired :)

• 10. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                            Rookie

One more point,

I think using netdom.exe supposes I'm in an AD environment? And I am not.

• 11. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

The reason why LANDesk pulls the Device name and uses that is because it is the field guaranteed to identify the machine uniquely in a normal windows environment (at least since win9x disappeared).  The serial number is not unique and not guaranteed even to be present.  Some systems still do not support this and often have duplicates (such as all zeros).  The device name is the name of the machine, that is what Microsoft have dictated and it is the same for virtaully every other OS as well.  LANDesk hooks to that and cannot be changed.

In the mechanism you want to use, what happens if the motherboard gets changed?  That mother board must have your Dell engineer reinput the Asset tag/serial number.  What about the thousands of other companies that use their own asset tag system rather than the one you have decided to use?

LANDesk have made the design decision to do this and so has virtually every other product I have ever seen.  i understand why you want this but even though you have paid for the product that doesn't necessarily mean it should be changed to work exactly how you want it; especially if what you propose would end up with a broken model that could never be changed rather than a potentially broken model that can be fixed. 

Your answer is to stop your users changing their machine names and enforce a standard.  if that can't be done because you don't have the authority then that is not LANDesk's issue that is an internal issue and one that most successful organisations have had to overcome.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I've had to deal with this for over 15 years now and there is no point expecting the technology to match a broken process, you need to fix the process or there is no point to the technology.

• 12. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                                Employee

Well, OSX lets you set every machine's name to "Student Computer", which I've had customers do...

Anyway, something had to be picked. Whether this was the right field or not is up for debate, but it's an ER to change it. It would affect console and software distribution, everything else uses the device id for primary key.

• 13. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                                  SupportEmployee

Back to the original question for this.  You can use Managed Planet's Data Translation Services to massage all of the different values that you see.  For example, the Device Name column you see is actually the Computer.Display Name field.   You can setup a DTS map rule to copy a different value from the inventory and overwrite it.  You can also "fix" the serial number (or assset tag or whatever you want to call it) field (there is a sample rule setup to do that).  It lets you do all kinds of customization of your data that Management Suite does not let you do.

• 14. Re: Need to remove Device Name field
                                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Be fair, I did say 'in a normal windows environment'. :)

What is the environment if it isn't using AD?  As far as I'm aware, Netdom is fine for changing the machine even if not connected to the directory so that shouldn't be an issue.  Are you a novell environment or something else?

1 2 3 Previous Next