5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 8:51 AM by bdleedy

Anyone else frustrated with documentation bulk stamped "applies to 2016"?

bdleedy Apprentice

I've read countless documents that seem to have just been auto stamped as applying to 2016. Did the IT monkey go rogue?

• 1. Re: Anyone else frustrated with documentation bulk stamped "applies to 2016"?
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Brian

They will only be stamped with 2016 if someone in support works on a customer issue who is running 2016 and they reference that document to resolve the 2016 issue.  If you can point me to any documents where you think that 2016 shouldn't be applied I can investigate.

Best wishes

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anyone else frustrated with documentation bulk stamped "applies to 2016"?
            bdleedy Apprentice

Will do!

I think that in MOST cases, it's been something that loosely applies to 2016 or generally applies to LANDESK. Theoretically a document is speaking about a file and it's location. In 2016, that file is no longer in that location. That document should be split into sections, annotated, or a new one for 2016 created. Thanks for the reply!

• 3. Re: Anyone else frustrated with documentation bulk stamped "applies to 2016"?
              bdleedy Apprentice

I haven't been searching but finally found one today.

How to configure a Preferred Package Server

It says that the preferred server settings are stored in %ProgramFiles%\LANDesk\ldclient\sdmcache\preferredservers.CoreServerName.dat and that's no longer true. It's just preferredservers.dat.

• 4. Re: Anyone else frustrated with documentation bulk stamped "applies to 2016"?
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

That'd be usually something to throw into the comment-fields.

The KB-article as a whole still applies just fine to LANDesk Management Suite 2016 -- adding a comment (which everyone can do) about minor changes, deals fine with "hey, version X has a slight difference" type stuff.

The other way to do it is for the author / someone else to notice it & add a section to the article itself about version differences. That CAN get messy in certain situations -- and requires the author (or whoever) to have the time / remember / notice the difference (it's a problem that should be familiar as "reading what you mean to read - instead of what's actually there", which anyone who's written a presentation or so should be familiar with), which can be a problem in its own right.

None of it is malicious or intends to mislead ... if 95% of the article still applies to "new version Y" it'll usually get tagged (understandably) as such by support folks.

For anything else, there's the comment section, among other things (and folks HAVE been quite happy to point out changes & so on on various articles) .

<To satisfy the above complaint, I've added a comment highlighting the change in filename at the article in question >

Hope that helps.

• 5. Re: Anyone else frustrated with documentation bulk stamped "applies to 2016"?
                  bdleedy Apprentice

Honestly, since first posting this I haven't been able to find anymore really frustrating ones again. Most of what I find is 'errors' in the log file location or name since the log file has either moved or been renamed. Still frustrating. I just hope that the log files settle into place somewhat.