8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2008 2:49 PM by MarXtar

Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?

Apprentice

Hello,

I'm having some issues with machines not showing up in the database after installing agent, or the machine will be there for a little while and then disapear.  I am sure it has to do with duplicate devices, but I can't seem to get the duplicate device setting right. 

Every nigit set, the total number of devices on the core is about 200 less than it was that same morning...

I am also getting a ton of *.scn files in the errorscan folder.

In reading through past posts, some people have suggested that they go through the database and manually delete duplicate devices.

I don't personally do anything with the database, so I haven't even poked around in it at all.   The DB is running on a Oracle RAC 10g cluster, managed by a really good DBA that is willing to help any way he can.

Anyway, I would appreciate everyone's help and ideas.

-Murf

• 1. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

There is never a perfect way to avoid duplicate devices unfortunately.  Just to check though, do you have automatic deletion after x days switched on?  if so, how many of these are likely to be related to that?

A way I've worked to identify potential culprits is to monitor particular attributes and alert on change.  I would suggest that you set System - Serial Number to alert on change and also set the Device Name changes to be stored as history.  This way, if a machine gets overwritten then you will be notified, you can locate the system that currently has that Device ID and then you can look at the hostory for the device name and see the machines that are overwriting each other.  then you can try to sort it out.

HOWEVER - there is something in your story that leads me to think that it is not really duplicates that are the problem and that you should consider my first point.  You are 'losing' 200 machines, that means that the 200 machines were there the previous day.  If this was a duplicate device issue, then those machines all appear to LANDesk as a single machine and are continuoulsy overwriting each other.  'Something' is deleting them and the only official mechanism for deletion is deletion of scans after x days OR deletion of duplicates (by MAC or Device Name).

That last one is a strong candidate since it is surprisingly simple for machines to have the same MAC address.  If you have a VPM solution that gives each connecting machine the same MAC address then they will get deleted.  Also, if you have people sharing docking stations you may get the same thing.

Since you have a friendly neigbourhood DBA, get them to do some checks toward the end of the day to see if your have multiple machines with the same MAC address.  if the numbers add up then there's your culprit and you should consider turning it off.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
            Employee

Mark's comments are spot-on -- I would add that ldms_core is there to make error scans easier to troubleshoot and duplicate devices easier to spot.

• 3. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
              Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I'm starting to think that this is a deep freeze issue.  In looking through the scans, I am noticing that all of the machines have deep freeze installed.

I have turned off delta scanning.  That seems to have solved all of the error scans.  I am now however getting many *.ims files in the error scan folder.  If I cut and paste them into the ldscan directory, they get processed without issue.

I have installed ldms_core.

Any guesses why *.ims files are heading into error scan?

Thanks again,

Murf

• 4. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
                Employee

Do you have multiple inventory server threads? That can cause deadlocking, particularly because there are two miniscans very close on each other's heels at machine start up (actions.ini and /ipaddr).

• 5. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
                  Apprentice

That was it.  Thanks Jack!!!

I have changed so many things this last couple of days.  I forgot that I changed it to 2 server threads.

Thanks,

Murf

• 6. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Deep freeze can be a pain.  Are you getting lots of out-of-sync scans?  Deep freeze is making the machine forget when it last sent a scan so that the delta scans don't work.  Ultimately the machines won't update correctly.

• 7. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
                      Apprentice

Yeah, a lot of out-of-sync scans going straight to the error scan folder.  Turning off Delta Scans fixed that issue...I guess not really a fix, but I feel better not seeing all the error scans.

• 8. Re: Manually Deleting Devices from the DB?
                        MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Perhaps a slightly different config for those system thats always forces a full scan that way you don't lose the delta scan capability on the others.  I'm not that familiar with deep freeze.  Can you exclude certain items from being frozen so that you don't keep getting this problem?