1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 3:34 PM by elektriksheep

Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops

Rookie

Is anyone else having issues with imaging Dell's new E6400 laptops? I seem to be able to copy my image to the laptops but when running the sysprep for my HII the device hangs and mouse and keyboard do not respond.

Any Ideas ? 

• 1. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Found ONE instance of this problem with E6400's ..

Interestingly enough the person affected was able to get the machine's mouse and keyboard to responds once it booted into safe mode and to load the drivers there manually.

The agreement was made that the person in question would try to reconfigure the sysprep to include additional drivers for the Dell E6400 laptop chipset - that seems to have fixed them. Looks like this particular critter's not as straight forward as many of us would like

Hope this helps.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
            Rookie

My problem with the new Dell E6400 series is, that the driver-installation is not working properly!

I use N-Light to include all drivers into the Windows XP Prof.-Image and deploy it with LanDesk Provisioning.

Everything seemed to be perfect, but I have to klick ones on a driver-detection.     (  "driver succesfully installed" )

... that mask interrups my OSD-Task

The rest is working silently with no user interaction ... ( formating, OS and a lot of software in about 46 Minutes)

greetz from vienna

• 3. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops

Thomas,

for you it may be worth trying to repackage the driver (AutoIT scripts are great for this) so that you don't have this "stopping" stone in your OSD process, potentially?

Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                Rookie

i agree, however i don't think it solved the problem. Having to boot in safe mood to load drivers i not excartly the out come the critter was thinking. however i did redo the sysprep and my Optiplex 755 now load all the drivers. still can't figure out what driver is causing the hangup. i will have to add them one by one and imaged them after loading. how ever the LANDesk Tech was very helpful in pointing the critter in the right direction. I was hoping i was not the only one having trouble with this model.

• 5. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                  Rookie

I am having the same problem and I have tried everything. New Bios came today, no joy.

New of today

New SAS drivers helped

• 6. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                    Rookie

Interesting topic... I have got the same troubles with the DELL Latitude E6500.

There is a truckload of drivers necessary for this laptop. Even drivers not to be found on the drivers-disk. The drivers for the Broadcom USH, and the Contacted Smartcard reader are missing on the disk. They can be found on the Dell-support-site if you search for "R194881.exe". The problem with this driver is, is isn't a only a driver. It is a setup-program, which installs both software and drivers. I am still wondering how to use it in a sysprepped environment.

Don't forget the Ricoh-driver (for access to the SD-card-reader), it appears in the configuration-manager as Base System Device.

But with all these drivers, the mini-setup still "hangs" halfway the installation. When I turn the laptop off and back on, the mini-setup seems to continue. But still errors on the Broadcom USH-device... Hopefully there are some experts in deploying these new machines...

• 7. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops

This may appear a strange idea, but maybe keeping a driver-friendly PCMCIA NIC on the backburner for those models where you must get "more creative" may be a bit of a band-aid. At least until you can convince your OEM to provide you proper drivers (not much we can do there ourselves - sorry) .

At least that way, you can get an OS imaged down on the machines in question, and that's half the battle won.

Paul Hoffmann

• 8. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                        Rookie

Someone kindly dumped a E6400 on my desk yesterday and requested a new image and i to had run into issues making our standard image fit this new device. Most of the drivers were easy to add but the BroadCom USH had become an issue. While googling for the driver i stubbled across this page. After a few hours i'd located the drivers in the installer and i thought i'd share how to extract them

I have attached copies of the Files required MSI installer and Sysprep_driver.zip but as i am not sure if this is allowed i've included instruction on extracting a copy of the drivers from the Dell Installer. Admins please remove the files if it is an issue.

To extract the Broadcom USH Driver from the Dell installer you must do the following.

1. Ensure you are running the Dell driver install on a computer with the Broadcom USH device (the extraction tool is smart and only extracts required device drivers)

2. Run 194881.exe After the extraction press continue.

3. Press Continue to run the dell Installer

4. Press Next,Next Next selecting Complete when asked. Once the installer starting installing (.net or something) you can kill the process (CTRLALTDEL Process Tab End  Setup.exe process)

5.Navigate to C:\*program files\Dell\Security Device Driver Pack\BroadCom Unified Security Hub* (for those just wanting msi install to run it is found here)

6.For those requiring Sysprep Drivers we need to extract them to do this run the following command

msiexec /a "C:\program files\Dell\Security Device Driver Pack\BroadCom Unified Security Hub" /qb targetDIR='<specify target of your choice> eg c:\broadcom'

7.The required drivers for Sysprep can be found in

<specifed Target of your choice>\program files\BroadCom Corporation\BroadCom USH Host Components\CV\Drivers

or in my example from step six

c:\broadcom\program files\BroadCom Corporation\BroadCom USH Host Components\CV\Drivers

Inserting contents of Drivers folder into correct Sysprep location will install the device during sysprep boot

Hope that helps

• 9. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops

You forgot to attach the files mate

I don't see why there should be a problem with us keeping a driver here (it's not like those get charged for normally), unless this is maybe some obscure "we charge you if you want the non-exe form driver" scheme by Dell in this case (though that would be new to me).

So unless there's any directly chargeable thing, I'd say we should be OK. If we should get contacted by a disgruntled Dell in the future about it, we can remove it then without an issue of course (though - again - since it's "just a driver" and not any kind of "here's software you have to pay for, for free" scenario, I don't see that happening).

So once you attach the zip, this should be good to go. Thanks also for the steps & instructions -- great of you to share

Paul Hoffmann

• 10. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                            Rookie

I didn't forget, i tried but the proxyserver i sit behind failed to allow the uploads.

I will email them home and upload them from there, should be done by the end of the day

<EDIT>

Files should now be uploaded

Message was edited by: drew Mackay - Uploads Added

Message was edited by: Beau Removed file 'Broadcom Unified Security Hub.zip' - my AV program said it had a virus.

• 11. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                              Rookie

Thanks for the files they will come to use when I get past the Sysprep fault I am having. Whatever I do it frezes.

"Installing Windows. Please wait." (XP32)

Anyone else having the same problem.

• 12. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops

Wow - that's a bastard of a place to freeze up in .

scratches beard

I don't even have a single bit of material on how to diagnose/troubleshoot that stage ... you had any luck on MS forums for this? If you at least can find out why it's hanging at that stage, then you stand a reasonable chance of finding out what's causing it (i.e. "it doesn't like the driver for component X" or such) ..?

Paul Hoffmann

• 13. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                                  Rookie

Tried changing the SATA mode from IRR whatever it is to something else in the bios?

Sorry i don't have the laptop infront of me so can't acuratley describe the field of the bios to change the HD mode.

Will update this post on monday

• 14. Re: Imaging problems with Dell E6400 Laptops
                                    Rookie

Here is the solution to my problem:

The Image was made on a HP desktop with both SATA and IDE hardware.

In some way, files from the SATA driver, or the driver itself caused problems when trying to deploy a H/W independent image.

We called Dell and they put us on the track of the solution.

The result was making a new image on the Laptop, because there was no time left before going live.

Now we have 2 H/W independent images, So we have still some work to do.

Next thing up is to uninstall some drivers, deleting registry keys or whatever we find. Later.

1 2 Previous Next