4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 3:20 AM by phoffmann

Is there a report available that provides the number of NICs on a machine for PXE deployment

Alfred Rookie

I'm trying to get a report or query that counts the number of NICs on a device.  I want to use the count to determine if I can re-deploy the LANDesk client with the PXE enabled.

• 1. Re: Is there a report available that provides the number of NICs on a machine for PXE deployment
          michael.odriscoll SupportEmployee

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for posting to the Community.

Did you find an answer to this question? You could try our new search page; The Advice Center.

Michael

• 2. Re: Is there a report available that provides the number of NICs on a machine for PXE deployment
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Not by default, no ... but easy enough to do in SQL.

Do you happen to have access to the database (either directly, or via a SQL admin)?

What sort of information would you be after? I.e. just:

- Device Name

- OS of the device perhaps?

- Number of NIC-s that this device has

... something like that ? Or need more than that?

==========

Alternatively, if you happen to have the DA module, you could create / write a rule (if you can do a bit of VB scripting?) to calculate the number of NIC's for you & store that as a dedicated inventory field.

That way, you can just run it as a standard column set based report.

• 3. Re: Is there a report available that provides the number of NICs on a machine for PXE deployment
              Alfred Rookie

I don't have the DA module licensed.  I believe that it has a field already defined (Computers.Nework Adaper.Adaper Count) but is empty or not visible if the DA module is not licensed.  I have access via an SQL admin.  I agree that it would be likely those three fields that I would require to decide if I could put a PXE configured client on the machine or not.

• 4. Re: Is there a report available that provides the number of NICs on a machine for PXE deployment
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yeah - that would be an intended target field for a DA calculation.

However, since it's a modelled inventory attribute, and you're happy to script it up - there's no reason why you can't make use of it, even though you don't have DA ... if you're willing to have the data field be populated, you'll be able to view it in the inventory tree.

So - the DB table that this inventory attribute points to is here ==> "MP_NetworkAdapters".

That just has 2 data columns.

- a COMPUTER_IDN field (which comes from the COMPUTER-table and is pretty much the "global primary key" by which we identify / keep track of a device across the entire database)

- The value for the # of NIC-s that the device has.

The "regular" network adapter inventory tree (where you'd see how many are listed for a device) is pointing to here -- the "NetworkAdapter"-table.

So if your DBA is friendly, he should be able to parse through the NetworkAdapter-table, and count (for each COMPUTER_IDN) the # of entries, and then put that output (COMPUTER_IDN, {Total count}) into the MP_NetworkAdapters-table for you, and you can access it then as part of the regular inventory.

A couple of points to watch out for though!

- Network Adapter entries tend to "stick" in Windows registry -- and there's no real way to distinguish between an "old NIC entry" and "one that isn't connected at the moment". So you'll end up with entries for previous NIC's potentially, as well as VPN / virtual NIC's that aren't used (either currently or at all).

- So - depending on the data, you may or may not need to do some filtering. Windows doesn't / can't know these things, and the Inventory scanner is just reporting what Windows is aware of.

- You may need to run this script regularly, so that your information doesn't get stale.

- It amounts to the same thing by and large, as your DBA would need to run the count(s) from the source NetworkAdapter table either way - just this way, you can re-user / query the data.

... in this particular case, it's a super-easy affair for a single field. But these sorts of calculations & data normalisations and so on is exactly what the DA module is for.

Hope that helps.