1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 8:48 AM by michellemclean1

Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.

Joe.Barham Apprentice

We have now had the system in production for about a year and a month. As the system has grown. Some screens now load slowly. I believe this is due to the amount of tickets, about 105,000 incidents, it is trying to load per query.

The slowest screen to load is the "Add Parent" and "Add Child" screens. These use the same query it is the "Default Incident Query".

What can be done to hep speed this up?.

I have questioned altering this query to add the filter of not closed, but this query if used by so many different screens it can not be altered...

ParentSlow.JPG

• 1. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
          michael.odriscoll SupportEmployee

Hi Joe,

Thanks for posting to the Community.

Do you have any update on this issue that you can share with the Community?

Michael

• 2. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
            Joe.Barham Apprentice

So I called and found out this is a known bug. So here is what I sent to Support:

We have been dealing with this for about 3 months. LANDesk has been in production for only about 13 months. Currently our total numbers are as follows:

Article                   (25)

Call                         (17,345)

Incident                (106,965)

Problem               (12)

Request               (2,434)

Task                       (144)

Task Incident     (2,731)

Task Problem     (3)

The parent/child relationship is a vital part of our business process. Our helpdesk uses this for all like tickets. Which accounts for about 15% of all tickets within the system.

I have followed the doc you provided and I am attaching the information from our DEV environment. I am attaching the information I have sent our DBA. Also I am attaching the files produced by both the profiler & the tuner.

Doc followed: https://community.ivanti.com/docs/DOC-4888

On the first attempt I got a 92% improvement.

I am attaching first and second attempts. In the directions, they suggest to run again if results are not favorable “16. Repeat if needed.”

On the second attempt I got this error from the tuner:

[cid:[email protected]]

And it still got 36% improvement.

• 3. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
              Joe.Barham Apprentice

Their answer to me:

We have found a possible workaround to alleviate this issue. The issue may be directly caused by the out of the box default query applied to the incident object. If you create a new query and apply that as the default query to incidents this is supposed to help with this issue.

To do this:

1. In query and report designer create a new query, name the query, set the selections to Incident Management - Incident and make it available to everyone.

2. Add the attributes you would like to appear in the list when an analyst runs the Add Child or Add Parent actions and save.

3. Open the Object Designer, Incident Management, Incident object 4. Find the Default Query drop down box in the right hand Properties dialog, select the new query that was created, and save the changes.

5. You may need to run an app pool recycle to have this change move to the Web Desk.

Please let me know if this workaround does resolve the performance issues for you. Thank you

I am going to try this today and see if this will help./..

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                Joe.Barham Apprentice

I forgot to mention, this did NOT help. Nothing got quicker.

My Senior DBA has looked at it and has said that the DB does NOT contain any clustered indexes...

• 5. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                  Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Performance is always a difficult nut to crack.

What version of ServiceDesk are you using?  If it is prior to 2016.3 then possibly "Problem 6425: When displaying windows in Web Access, all tabs with a Query are run, causing performance issues" could be a factor.

If it is getting worse the more transactions being logged then perhaps you have an "Unbounded Collection" on one of your objects that is causing. check out The effect of unbounded collections on system performance

Also you mentioned recreating the default query;  did you limit the rows per page being returned.  Setting to "0" (zero) would not be a good move for example!

• 6. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                    Joe.Barham Apprentice

Thanks Julian!

I will look at unbounded collections link you gave. We have 2016.3 in production, and have tried this on 2016.4 and no help. Our helpdesk brought this to our attention about 2 months ago and we have been trying different things in both 2016.3 & 2016.4.

I would like to install 2016.2 in development and find a way to downgrade the DB to see if the issue started after 2016.3 was installed. We are not sure if it was the 2016.3 install or when we passed 90k tickets in the system they both occurred at the same time...

About the default query. I was not going to change the default, I was going to try to recreate it and then limit it to only "non closed" tickets. Trying to find a way to use this query to populate the parent child screens.

I have not look at problem 6425, I will look into that as well.

Thanks,

Joe

• 7. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                      Apprentice

Hi,

We have the same issue in particular with the Add Child query of Parent and Child- we are on LDSD version 2012.2.

I was going to look at amending the default query to exclude closed calls (not sure what wider implications this may have however) but it does not appear from Joe's posts above that this won't make much difference.

We already have custom non-clustered indexes on our database.

Regards,

Karl

• 8. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                        Apprentice

Hi,

Out of interest if the Incident default query is changed would anyone know if this would reprecussions elsewhere?

Regards,

Karl

• 9. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Quite possibly as that query could be used in many places.

Best Practice as far as I'm concerned is always to have a query dedicated to these so we alert any other potential users who otherwise could pick them and use them elsewhere.  It doesn't stop them doing that BTW but it does mean that if you do change downstream they have only themselves to blame for using your "reserved" queries.

So the system queries you use for objects could be named with a convention....

DefaultQuery - Incident

DefaultQuery - Incident Note

DefaultQuery - Incident Resolution

DefaultQuery - Incident Reopen

DefaultQuery - Request

DefaultQuery - Request Assignment

or even..

DefObjQry - Incident

or

DOQ - Incident

Hopefully you get my meaning here.

Ju

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                            kevin.bye Apprentice

We ran into the same issue with parent/child Incidents, and I ended up changing the default Incident Query to a new query I created based on the default one.  I used filter criteria to limit the query to only Incidents that are not in the Closed status, which immediately fixed this issue

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                              Apprentice

Thank you both for your input.

Kevin- are there not any wider reaching implications of changing the Incident query to be something else rather than the Default one?

Regards,

Karl

• 12. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                                Joe.Barham Apprentice

Kevin, Ivanti has recogized that I found a bug... I id the same thing you did months ago.

My email to Ivanti:

The workaround you are referring to:

We have found a possible workaround to alleviate this issue. The issue may be directly caused by the out of the box default query applied to the incident object. If you create a new query and apply that as the default query to incidents this is supposed to help with this issue.

To do this:

1. In query and report designer create a new query, name the query, set the selections to Incident Management - Incident and make it available to everyone.

2. Add the attributes you would like to appear in the list when an analyst runs the Add Child or Add Parent actions and save.

3. Open the Object Designer, Incident Management, Incident object

4. Find the Default Query drop down box in the right hand Properties dialog, select the new query that was created, and save the changes.

5. You may need to run an app pool recycle to have this change move to the Web Desk.

We have tried this workaround, and YES it does return the data much quicker. EXCEPT, for the fact that the “Add Child” & “Add Parent” screens show all data within a single screened list. It does not give the option of click “next” to continue through the returned rows per page. The limit of number of records displayed per screen is 100, and this is a hard limit for all queries written by any user including SA. But this limit does not affect the “Default Incident Query”. Being that there are over 100k incidents in our system, that screen will show 100k records in one screen.

I have this in a community post hoping that others may share what they have tried to remedy this issue. My community post:

https://community.ivanti.com/thread/34878

As for our other attempts. We have ran the SQL profiler to produce a file and ran that file through the tuner and applied the changes through the tuner. There was no improvement. We have also tried to add clustered indexes but this is a shot in the dark since our DBA does not know which all tables are being affected by the "Add Child" or "Add Parent"  screens.

At this point, I need you all to help me. I have exhausted all I can do to fix this issue. Even with my success of having the screen return the results in less than a second, it still only returned 100 records and did not give the ability to click to the next screen of records. We have about 950 current active incidents in the system. Either the screen needs to allow multiple screens of records or increase the hard limit of 100 records returned per screen.

• 13. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                                  kevin.bye Apprentice

I have not noticed any other side effects of making this change, I have not found anywhere else in the system that the default query is used as of yet.

• 14. Re: Add Parent/Child page loads very slowly.
                                    kevin.bye Apprentice

So if you cut out the Incidents that are not active, you drop the row count of the query from over 100K to ~950 active Incidents correct?

My question then would be: Can the user performing the action narrow down the results by using the query filters at the top?  Maybe include a "Title contains", "Description contains", or something similar?  We changed the Summary (Title) filter to a "contains" rather than "equals" for this purpose.  As long as they know what they are looking for, they should have a keyword or two, then they hopefully shouldn't need to dig through nearly as many open Incidents.

I do agree that it no longer puts the results into pages, and ideally it would get fixed so that it does.  However using this method to search through the list functions the same as searching through multiple pages so we haven't major complaints from our Analysts

1 2 Previous Next