5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2017 9:08 AM by [email protected]&G

Provisioning Windows 10 Lenovo laptop

Rookie

Morning,

I am running into an issue when trying to deploy a Windows 10 image on a Lenovo T460p laptop. I have prepped the laptop with software our end users will need, ran Windows updates and installed Lenovo updates. I ran sysprep - OOB/generalize with shutdown, without errors and capture the image flawlessly. My issue is after I deploy the image. The image deploys to 100% and then reboots. When it comes back up from the reboot, I am getting an error message saying there was an error in the installation and needs to reboot; going into an infinite loop. Did I miss a step? Is there something else I need to do for a Windows 10 image? Thanks in advance,

Mike

• 1. Re: Provisioning Windows 10 Lenovo laptop
          Jon Miller Apprentice

Are you getting to the unattend.xml injection or CTOS or is this failing immediately after the deployment upon booting back into winpe? As a side note, I would also double check the software you installed and make very sure to remove any unique entries in the registry before using sysprep. Sometimes the company will publish instructions on this. Are you using HII (I'm guessing not since you installed hardware specific drivers before capturing)?

• 2. Re: Provisioning Windows 10 Lenovo laptop
            Rookie

Are you running PXE over Legacy or UEFI boot? I haven't had any luck with UEFI yet. We have been able to deploy the image successfully except our additional steps of adding it to the domain is not working. Try this below:

• If you are having difficulties with SYSPREP or it begins to reboot before you enter PXE try the following:
              • The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error…
              • FN SHIFT F10
              • Regedit
              • HKLocal machin/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion
                • Modify setup.exe value from 1 to 3
                • Close all windows and hit ok
              • Reboot
            • 3. Re: Provisioning Windows 10 Lenovo laptop
              Rookie

Or try this from scratch before you grab the image:

Try this method to capture image

• Enable local admin and set password
              • Remove from the domain
              • Delete all User Profiles
                • Except for Administrator
                • Delete default0 as well
              • Run PS commands https://community.ivanti.com/docs/DOC-35503
              • Run through cleanup method above
                • Restart
              • Sysprep
                • Enter System Audit Mode
                • Check OOBE
                • Shutdown
              • If you are having difficulties with SYSPREP or it begins to reboot before you enter PXE try the following:
                • The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error…
                • FN SHIFT F10
                • Regedit
                • HKLocal machin/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion
                  • Modify setup.exe value from 1 to 3
                  • Close all windows and hit ok
                • Reboot
              • 4. Re: Provisioning Windows 10 Lenovo laptop
                Jon Miller Apprentice

You should give HII a shot with a completely clean golden image. Then you can use the drivers cabs, distribution packages, scripts and such to customize the template for the department/group/sector. I've never had any luck using an image captured from a physical machine, too dirty! I've only used virtual machines once I discovered how easy and clean it was. Plus it's much quicker   Who knows, give what blong said a shot, maybe it will get you up and rolling! This is just the method we use and it is practically flawless!

• 5. Re: Provisioning Windows 10 Lenovo laptop
                  Rookie

Thank you all. Jon got me in the right direction. I had rogue unattand.xml files in my image. I had to remove them from my image and insert the genric unattend.xml from landesk; in my deploy template. Thanks again,

Mike