5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 9:05 AM by phoffmann

Agent accidentally installed on core

AlexGallegos Apprentice

Hello all!

I have a new core that we built last week because the old core was having disk issues. We're in the process of deploying our agent which we're doing via Group Policy. All well and good except I accidentally installed the agent on the Core server. I remember being told by a tech during the initial deployment not to ever, ever, under any circumstances do that. He went on to say that if I ever did do that, it was even more important that I not try to uninstall it after the fact, or I would break the core.

So I know that I can't uninstall it, but what will the ramifications be of installing it in the first place? Basically trying to figure out how screwed I am. Fortunately it has the agent we designed for servers, which has no antivirus, basically just inventory. We are also never planning to use LDMS to patch servers, only workstations. Server patching happens through Shavlik.

We're running the latest version, Landesk 10.1 SU 3.

So, is the world going to come crumbling down because of this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Agent accidentally installed on core
          Apprentice

You can try this?

https://community.ivanti.com/message/123912#123912

When removing the agent from a core, you need to leave the common base agent in tact. The command line switch for this using uninstallwinclient is "/NODELCBA". (Minus the quotes) This will remove the agent but leave the common base agent (and the rest of the LDMS installation) in a working state.

I'd back up your DB and server before trying this.

• 2. Re: Agent accidentally installed on core
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

You'll be fine but you do need to be careful.

With the agent on there it could potentially be targeted by software distribution or patches so consider scoping the machines. Also beware that subnet elected services may start to select your core server for tasks but only if you enable them for the subnet the server is on. If you need to, look for the docs that talk about increasing a machine's base scoe so it won't be selected.

It is common for partners to have agents on their servers for various reasons and it doesn't cause issues just by being there, it is the potential it opens.

Future upgrades are likely to fail if the agent is there, so at that point you would look at removing the agent.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://ivantione.marxtar.com

Ivanti One Development Partner

Try MarXtar State Management for Ivanti to Better Understand and Manage your Assets

• 3. Re: Agent accidentally installed on core
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Would it be correct to assume that you've been doing the LANDesk stuff for a *LONG* time? .

This statement:

I remember being told by a tech during the initial deployment not to ever, ever, under any circumstances do that. He went on to say that if I ever did do that, it was even more important that I not try to uninstall it after the fact, or I would break the core.

*used* to hold true ... but that's something in the region of 10 odd years ago. I'll explain why it was given around at the time, and why it no longer affects things,

So - in the dark days of the early 2000's, *installing* the agent on the Core was never a problem. It was the un-install of the Agent that caused issues.

The issues were around the fact that we'd remove / uninstall CBA and other bits that "the Core needs to function". Back in those days, that would indeed "break the Core".

That hasn't been the case, however, since ... I think at least 9.0, or 8.8 ... if not older (we fixed our uninstaller to be a lot smarter in handling Core Servers). So you should be good there.

What rammifications would you have from installing the agent on the Core?

- Well - if you target a "all devices" / "all servers" type of job, and include reboots in it, the Core is going to get rebooted as well. So "just be mindful / careful" as it were.

- You *MIGHT* want to consider in fact (just to prevent any "duh" moments) from ensuring that the Core is its own scope. That way "server admins" can't accidentally push out some job that requires a reboot to the Core, because the Core would ideally not be part of "the server scope", but in a scope unique to it.

... the world is *NOT* going to end from you having the agent on the Core. That's perfectly fine & has been for years. it's how a lot of my accounts manage their Cores (including patching & so on).

You just need to be mindful / careful (which I'd expect to be the case with servers anyway) around anything that'll trigger a reboot, as you don't want the Core to disappear into a reboot at an inconvenient time.

Alternatively, you can uninstall the agent (if paranoid, which is never a bad thing - do a full backup first) and life will go on as previously normal.

In short - This used to be an issue some 10+ years ago or so. True - and very much so. But it hasn't been one for many years now .

<One minor point - if/when you next upgrade your Core, the installer will complain about you failing pre-req checks because you'll have an agent on the Core. So you'll need to uninstall it before you proceed with the upgrade. The installer will mark that obviously though, as there's a "must not have an agent" check being made >

• 4. Re: Agent accidentally installed on core
                AlexGallegos Apprentice

phoffmann wrote:

Would it be correct to assume that you've been doing the LANDesk stuff for a *LONG* time? .

Not all that long, actually... just about a year. But during the rebuild of the core last week I was working with a LANDESK employee from the professional services department who was helping us with a health check and reoptimizing the new core, and he's actually the one who told me that. He was a LANDESK user before joining the company so perhaps he brought that legacy knowledge with him.

• 5. Re: Agent accidentally installed on core
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Ah - gotcha.

Well - same thing. It was a true thing 10+ years ago.

Certainly hasn't been for the last few years. So you should be good .