3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 1:56 AM by MarXtar

How many pc's can i build simultaneously using WINPE??

Rookie

I am working on a disaster recovery project and have been asked the question.... "Can we image 100 machines all at once at the same time" using winpe.

Is this possible?

• 1. Re: How many pc's can i build simultaneously using WINPE??
          zman Master

Tough question, depends on:

1. Size of your image?
          2. Network Infrastructure/topology - image pulled across wan, local subnet connections, switch utilization, machine nic settings (100 full, gig, etc..)
          3. etc... others will add more.

I would venture to guess that the limiting factor (bottleneck) would be your network in lieu of LANDesk.  We have imaged 600+ in a day, doing about 30-50 per site simultaneously.

• 2. Re: How many pc's can i build simultaneously using WINPE??
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

It pretty much always boils down to networking bottlenecks, since this is going to affect you whether you go uni-cast or multicast ... and the quality & speed of the NIC's on your Core & image-holding platforms matters a lot.

So that'll be you biggest bottleneck. Size of the image just increases the amount of time - which is / is not much of a factor based on the speed & quality of your network.

A difference of 1 GB on an image is a bigger deal on a 10 Mb half duplex network, than it is on a full Gigabit network (for instance).

It all pretty much comes down to network gear one way or another .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: How many pc's can i build simultaneously using WINPE??
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Technically anything is possible with enough bandwidth with a major bottleneck likely to be the server's network card.

However, licensing is also a factor.  The WinPE is a concurrency license so you can only do 100 at a time if you own 100 licenses.  Nothing restricts you within the product but you need to be aware of Microsoft's licensing in this area.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk