5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 4:50 AM by MISGalway

Adding extra digit when scanning code 39

MISGalway Rookie

Hello,

We have TC70’s that add digits to code 39 barcodes, using Terminal Emulation.

The fix I have found for this is. When I go into Datawedge - Profile0 - Decoder Params – Code 39 – Verify Check Digit I check this box, go back into TE and the barcode scans fine without adding the extra digit.

When I restart the scanner and go back to Datawedge the Verify Check Digit box is unchecked when scanning a code 39 barcode again it adds the extra digit again.

I have been told this is not a data wedge issue and is TE related.

The only thing that I can see that would help or add a digit in TE would be the Scanner settings but we don’t make any settings changes in the group.

Running TC70 scanner with Android 4.4.3, TE version 2.0.18.4977, Datawedge Version 4.0.5

• 1. Re: Adding extra digit when scanning code 39
          Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

Try creating a new profile instead of leveraging Profile0 and associate it directly with the Telnet client activity. Profile0 is probably being set to defaults on reboot by some other application.

• 2. Re: Adding extra digit when scanning code 39
            MISGalway Rookie

Thanks for the reply Matt.

If I create a new profile how do I associate the new profile with TE?

• 3. Re: Adding extra digit when scanning code 39
              Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

Here is some further information around DataWedge Profiles from Techdocs.zebra.com. The App Association process is highlighted in the Quick Steps section and shown in detail below that. While this should hopefully be obvious, you will need to associate the Profile with YOUR application's android activity and NOT the RXLogger application shown in the example.

Profiles

A DataWedge Profile contains information about how DataWedge should behave with one or more associated applications, and provides a means to allow different apps that might be acquiring the same data to do different things with it. For example, while "App A" might require that a TAB be sent after each dataset is passed from DataWedge, "App B" might require the ENTER key to be pressed instead. Through Profiles, DataWedge can be configured to process the same set of captured data according to the requirements of any number of individual applications. Alternatively, a single Profile can be created and associated with many applications, acquiring and processing data in exactly the same way for all.

Any number of Profiles can be created to suit all the needs of an enterprise. DataWedge also includes several pre-configured Profiles to support general needs or for specific apps that are built into every device. Some of these, such as Profile0, are visible to the user and can be edited as needed. Others contain fixed parameters and are not visible or configurable.

http://techdocs.zebra.com/datawedge/5-0/guide/setup/#visibleprofilesVisible Profiles

• Profile0 - is a generic that takes effect for any unassociated foreground app.
              • Launcher - is used when the Launcher screen is in the foreground.
              • DWDemo - is used with DWDemo, the DataWedge Demo app app. When DWDemo comes to the foreground, data captured with DataWedge is handed to the DWDemo application.
              • User-defined - profiles are always visible and available for editing.

Create a Profile

This section provides step-by-step instructions for creating a DataWedge Profile, which includes plug-ins for input, processing and output, plus association with an app. Use these steps for every app that will call on DataWedge for scanning services.

http://techdocs.zebra.com/datawedge/5-0/guide/setup/#quickstepsQuick Steps

To enable DataWedge scanning services for an app, perform the following steps on an Android device:

1. Install the app that will use DataWedge for scanning.
              2. Start DataWedge app and navigate to the Profiles list (if not shown by default).
              3. Tap on the Profiles screen's "hamburger" menu and select -> New profile.
              4. Enter a name for the Profile and tap OK. The new Profile appears in the Profiles list.
              5. Tap on the new profile.
              6. Select Associated Apps from the Applications section.
              7. In the Hamburger menu, select -> New app/activity. A list of installed apps appears.
              8. Select your app's package name (scrolling down, if necessary).
              9. Tap the asterisk (*) to associate all of your app's activities with DataWedge.
              10. Tap the device's Back button until the new Profile's Settings screen appears.
              11. Confirm that the "Profile enabled" checkbox is checked.
              12. As needed, confirm that the Barcode Input and Keystroke Output checkboxes are checked.

Test and adjust input, processing (data formatting) and output parameters as necessary.

The app will now use DataWedge for barcode data acquisition.

Detailed Steps

1-4 omitted

5. From the Profile screen, tap the "Profile enabled" checkbox to enable it, then tap "Associated apps" to link it with an app or activity:

6. Tap the menu and select -> New app/activity. A list appears with all apps and activities installed on the device.

7. From the device apps/activities list, select the app or activity to associate with the Profile being edited. When an app is selected, its activities list appears (see Step 8).

8. From the app activities list, tap the asterisk to associate all app activities with the Profile, or tap on an indvidual activity to use DataWedge for that specific activity only:

9. The app now appears in the Profile associations list as below. Repeat Steps 6-8 until all desired apps and/or activities are associated.

When finished adding associations, Tap the BACK button to return to the Profile screen.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adding extra digit when scanning code 39
                cachilli SupportEmployee

Beat me to the punch, again! here is another article that should cover this as well just in case..

Motorola Scan Buttons and MSR with the TE client for Android

• 5. Re: Adding extra digit when scanning code 39
                  MISGalway Rookie

Thanks for the information. It works fine for me.

Just one other question. When I create the new profile and power cycle the scanner the profile is gone.

How can the profile be saved so if it is turned off, the profile stays? I dont see any information about this on the Zebra links provided.