4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 3:33 AM by phoffmann

Reboot Settings - Minimize Prompt to System Tray Automatically

Apprentice

Is there a way to turn off the reboot prompt in a way where it is still on, but only showing in the tray as a notification that can be clicked on for the full message?  Users don't like that it comes up in their focus on top of other apps and it cannot be minimized.  Telling them to schedule the notification to appear later doesn't work.  They just fume about it anyways.  It would be nice if there was a softer option, like how Windows does it after a Windows Update needs a reboot.

• 1. Re: Reboot Settings - Minimize Prompt to System Tray Automatically
          michael.odriscoll SupportEmployee

Hi Ryan,

Is this still an issue for your users? Do you have any update that might help the Community provide a suggestion?

Michael

• 2. Re: Reboot Settings - Minimize Prompt to System Tray Automatically
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well ... it's a REBOOT prompt. KINDA the thing you *do* want to show up on top of everything.

Given that the alternative is "Hey - surprise reboot - you didn't notice the tiny icon in the system tray, so guess what - everything's closing" (which will cause a separate drama storm, I can assure you).

If you're 100% positive you WANT that request (and the above is NOT a fictional example, I've seen it happen, albeit not with us) then you'd need to file an enhancement request here -- Enhancement Requests .

But - in all honesty - I suspect your users don't think this through. I can guarantee you a drama storm based on people "not noticing" the systray toast and having the fun of "unexpected reboot".

The "high visibility" thing is really the least of evils that I've come up with so far.

• 3. Re: Reboot Settings - Minimize Prompt to System Tray Automatically
              Apprentice

Yes it is still an issue.  Right now I have it turned off.  I send critical patch jobs with different reboot settings instead.  The system is just too reboot happy.  Some updates are critical and require quick reboots, like AV upgrades and some Windows updates, but most are enhancements, important security updates, etc.  For all of these, I'd rather "queue" up the reboot to happen naturally when they go home for the day or sometime later in the week.  Some heavy patching months have users getting the reboot prompts multiple times a week, to multiple times a day.  The fact that they can snooze the prompt is good, but not good enough.  Often this happens during important meetings, conference calls, etc.  A lot of people don't use PowerPoint in every meeting so the option to not prompt while it is running is only a half baked solution.  I'm just looking for more control.  I want to be heavy handed during agent and AV upgrades, but not during most others.  I already give them the ability to snooze for 4 hours and don't force reboots for 3 days as default.  I only want the prompt to take the focus when it is closer to the reboot countdown.  If a not really important update needs a reboot, I'd like a tray notification / warning, then a full focus popup some time closer as I specify ( 1 hour, 10 minutes, or whatever).  If it is not important, I'd like it to warn softly, but not force, but when it is important, to be more forceful.  Landesk also monitors pending file renames, which makes everyone think that IT pushed an update, when often it is an auto-updater that is running from a user context based unapproved install.  We tell them to reduce their bloat and to go through us for installs, but a lot of software companies have figured out how to install software sans admin rights, which just makes our jobs that much harder.

• 4. Re: Reboot Settings - Minimize Prompt to System Tray Automatically
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

*nods* - makes sense. That would be all something to be documented out into an enhancement request (as per the above link I've provided).

Providing context (... "and here's WHY this change helps me / folks like me ") would be a good thing (and you can link back to this thread from there as well).

You can customise what programs you want to "not be interrupted" (we just provide PPT as an initial default) - so if you guys use NetMeeting (as an example), then you can add that to the list of processes to check for.