2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2008 7:38 AM by lscapa

Newbie Question - OSD and Database Actions

So my company has informed me that we are migrating away from SCCM to LanDesk... Right now we have a web application that the PC techs use to prepopulate in the MDT database. Prior to the PC arriving at our facility. The LanDesk instructor mentioned using csvimport but we need this to be done through a web interface whereas the techs don't have any rights in the deployment system. Below is a rough draft of what the current system does. I'm looking for the DB tables and references to recreate this:

1. Record is input with OLDPC name for profile migration
      2. Record is updated with PC replacement (new pc name is based off of the 5 last digits of the serial number)
      3. On PXE boot client gets the dinamic data and changes the values in the sysprep.inf file to step two name from DB.
      4. Log is checked for success and old PC account is disabled

Our entire deployment is dynamic and includes dynamic package installation based on SMS inventory's last query of the old pc before the replacement.

Where does csvimport put the information from the CSV file?

• 1. Re: Newbie Question - OSD and Database Actions
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

The answer is partially "it depends", because you could be using CSVIMPORT to import mini-scans that have considerably more than just the "bare minimum" of information.

So things like various custom strings for instance (though this would rather greatly complicate matters if you were to try and batch this, since custom data is normally modelled "on the fly", and while you CAN do it manually, this is going to take quite a while to explain).

Which version of LDMS do you use?

If you use a miniscan such as mine:

Network - NIC Address = 000C290EF8D5
          Network - TCPIP - Address =
          Network - TCPIP - Subnet Mask =
          BIOS - Serial Number = VMWARE-56 4D 33 FC B6 52 6C 91-3F 07 B7 C1 73 0E F8 D4
          Device Name = MYMACHINE

Then the tables to look at are:

- COMPUTER (the master table for pretty much anything)

- BIOS

- TCP

NOTE: If you're going the syntax route of using:

Network - TCPIP - Adapter 0 - Subnet Mask =

You're going to have unmodelled data (on account of the Adapter 0 stuff) - which makes thins A LOT more complicated if you want to do this 'by hand'). So I'll skip this for now eh .

P.S.: Best way to reverse engineer these things / find out definitive answers for your data is SQL traces .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Newbie Question - OSD and Database Actions

LDSM is 8.8.

What though needs to be set in the database for a barebone provisioning task to kick off once the system is booted using PXE? Currently all we look at is the serial number and off it goes. Then after the base image is installed we run custom actions based on model and manufacturer of each system. These are then followed by a reinstall of apps that the user had installed on their old PC (this process also auto upgrades any older apps to the latest versions. i.e. Office 2003 is replaced with Office 2007 ect.).