4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 4:48 PM by Waldy

Where are the Report Builder Data Source files used?

Waldy Employee

In the Report Designer, there is an option EXPORT REPORT BUILDER DATA SOURCE that creates an .XML file.  Where can you use this file?  In Report Builder using the File / Open option, you can only open .REPX files.

• 1. Re: Where are the Report Builder Data Source files used?
          GreggSmith SupportEmployee

Hello,

You can find a step-by-step answer to your question in the online documentation here: https://help.ivanti.com/docs/help/en_US/XTRACT/2016/User/XT_User/Report-Designer.htm.

The specific step that answers your question is step 6 under "To create a template for report content".

Let me know if you still have questions.

Thanks,

Gregg

• 2. Re: Where are the Report Builder Data Source files used?
            Waldy Employee

Hi Greg,

thanks for that.  I should have searched the online help.  I looked in the .PDF documentation for Report Builder Data Source and it did not find a match.

So this looks like it is only of use for a static data one time report for when the file was exported.

• 3. Re: Where are the Report Builder Data Source files used?
              GreggSmith SupportEmployee

No, it has a different purpose.

First, let me define a few terms and explain how things work.

The Report Designer is the section in the web interface where you enter a SQL statement, define any optional parameters, and optionally upload a template file that can be used to format the results of the SQL query.  From here, you can also schedule the Report to run on a recurring schedule, with or without the formatting of a template.

The Report Builder is a Windows application that can be run on anyone's Windows workstation (no license file required) to create a template file for a specific Report.

When using the Report Builder, you never actually connect to Xtraction, the Xtraction database, or any of the databases you are reporting against.  So, in order for Report Builder to know about the various fields in the Report and have some sample data from the Report query results to provide a preview of your template design, there has to be a way to get that information from the Report Builder web interface over to the Report Builder application.

That is where the Report Builder Data Source file comes into play.  It is an XML file that contains information about the fields in the Report query results, as well as (I think) 100 records from those results as a data sample for previewing your report design in the Report Builder.

After building the template in the Report Builder and saving it as a file, you then upload that template file back into the Report Designer for use when exporting the Report.

Does that all make sense?

Thanks,

Gregg

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Where are the Report Builder Data Source files used?
                Waldy Employee

Thanks Greg, yes I get it now.