4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2008 9:38 AM by puercomal

Importing a list of machines into a group?

Rookie

Good morning all.

Is there an easy way to import a list of machines into a group for a software deployment?

e.g typically our sales or marketing department will provide a list of 50 or 60 pcs which they want software deployed to. Can I import that list into group from a text or csv file rather than having to drag and drop the machines from all devices?

I'm running LDMS 8.7 SP4 at the mo.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• 1. Re: Importing a list of machines into a group?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

How good / comfortable are you at SQL?

I can see this being reasonably easy (relatively speaking) to sort out through a SQL batch ... just wondering whether this is something you'd be comfortable to do / have the technological resources (i.e. a DBA) to help you out with?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical lead

• 2. Re: Importing a list of machines into a group?
            Rookie

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response

I'm afraid my SQL skills are rather non existent, however I may have access to some DBA's. What did you have in mind - can you give me a few pointers perhaps ?

I  assume that the LDMS is not up to the job in its current state but I am sure that this functionality will benefit lots of admins/deployment staff, so I'll add itto the wishlist and see what happens .... 

Cheers

• 3. Re: Importing a list of machines into a group?
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Urm - OK ... grab a DBA and haul him in front of the screen. Coercing with a doughnut or so may help :).

This will be a bit of a crash-course, so hold on tight :).

The COMPUTER table is the primary table for pretty much everything in LANDesk -- the most important column there is the COMPUTER_IDN, which is the primary identifier for any device we use in the database.

Every kind of custom group is split over a few tables - the most important ones in this regard are:

- CUSTOMGROUP table (you'd need this to identify "your" custom group). The relationships are based on a tree structure here.

If a custom group has a PARENTCUSTOMGROUP_IDN of NULL, it means that it's the "root of the tree", and the rest is pretty easy to reverse engineer. For instance, "MY DEVICES" has a CUSTOMGROUP_IDN of 7, and a PARENTCUSTOMGROUP_IDN of NULL (and thus is at the root).

If I create a new custom group under "MY DEVICES", then this would have its own CUSTOMGROUP_IDN (unique identifier) and a PARENTCUSTOMGROUP_IDN of 7.

======

Running Example -- I created a Group "TwoRandomComps" under "MyDevices".

The group "TwoRandomComps" has a CUSTOMGROUP_IDN of 20, and a PARENTCUSTOMGROUP_IDN of "7" (since it's under MYDEVICES). The important takeaway here is the CUSTOMGROUP_IDN=20

======

Now then - there's a fair few CUSTOMGROUPxxxx tables. In this case, we're interested in the "CUSTOMGROUPCOMPUTER" table.

The table is pretty easily structured.

1 - CUSTOMGROUPCOMPUTER_IDN -- primary identifier for the table internally

2 - CUSTOMGROUP_IDN -- this tells us what CUSTOMGROUP we're talking about (this is why the CUSTOMGROUP_IDN is important)

3 - MEMBER_IDN -- this shows us which COMPUTER_IDN is the one we're talking about. This is essentially a synonym. If you replace "MEMBER_IDN" with "COMPUTER_IDN" in your head, this should make a lot more sense .

So - let us fill that with some data, eh

CUSTOMGROUPCOMPUTER_IDN

CUSTOMGROUP_IDN

MEMBER_IDN

How does this translate?

There's two COMPUTER_IDN's we're interested in - "6" and "8" which are members of our "TwoRandomComps" (CUSTOMGROUP_IDN=20) group - those are COMPUTER_IDN/MEMBER_IDN "6" and "8". To find out which devices those are, we'd just need to cross-check / query the COMPUTER table for these COMPUTER_IDN's.

And we also see that there's one device (COMPUTER_IDN=5) which is part of another group (CUSTOMGROUP_IDN=25).

So - it's not overly tricky to manipulating this structure to create groups on your own based on this info.

It will help if you can give your DBA a test LANDesk server so he can play with the database a little - but the 3 tables I mentioned should be all he needs - the rest is just a matter of pulling the COMPUTER_IDN's from the devices you've got on your list and adding a custom group and its entries in the respective tables.

Let me know if your DBA has questions :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful